NWetRider

Sep 24, 2004
I am new to 2 strokes and really don't think I can jet by feel. Is there any objective way to do it? From what I have read reading the plugs is not very reliable. I found some information about the wet pipe method but that sure shounds like a lot of work. Anyway, here is what I have found for starting points from different sources, maybe someone can make a recomendation.

99 CR250

Main, Pilot, Needle, Clip, Airscrew
Stock:190,42,1370D,3rd,2
Bills Pipes: 190,45,1371D, 1st,1.5
MXA: 188,45,1369D,1st,2.5
FMF: 178,42,1370D,2nd,1.5

I started out with: 185,45,1371D, 1st, 2

The bike starts really hard cold but after that it starts real easy. I am getting some spooge, just enough for a few drops get on the swingarm. I tried the airscrew at 2.5 and I think it may have ran cleaner on the bottom but it would hit a lot harder which I didn’t care for in the slick stuff. Bottom end is smooth and the mid pulls nicely but it seem kind of flat on top. I think that the 99 is a bottom end motor though so maybe that’s how it’s supposed to feel?

I only ride tight woods so the bike is putting around a lot of the time. Riding area is about 1000 feet elevation and should be around 40-50 degrees for a while. Using Moble MX2 oil 40:1.

Motor is stock except for Wiseco pistong, FMF Fatty with Pro Circuit 296(the quiet forestry approved one) Boyseen reeds (the 4 petal ones), Twin air filter. How should these modifications impact jetting.

On a kind of related note, I pulled the left powervalve cover and there is a lot of wet spooge building up in there. Is that normal?

Top Bottom