jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
I'm thinking about spending a few days in the SE Utah area, doesn't need to be Moab but can be. My daughter and I will be riding KDX's, she's not into real technical stuff. My wife will stay in the RV and so I'd like to just make relatively short forays from a location where I can park the RV and head out with the dirt bikes. Any suggestions?

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
There's some camping along Kane Creek Road with some easy riding from the campground. Chicken Corners is easy (I think you could drive it in a stock 4WD) with a spectacular view at Hurrah Pass and again at the end, and Kane Creek is more difficult but really fun - rocks/sand/water crossings/etc. Kane Creek also gets more difficult the farther in you go, so you could just go out and turn back when you get to something that looks too tough.

The following links have directions/pictures/maps.

Chicken Corners

Kane Creek Canyon

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Here are some options.

First pick up the "Latitude 40" maps of Moab east and west. You can pick them up in town (look for Eddie McStiffs brew pub on the main street, there is a map store accross the street to the north) or you can get them HERE

My suggestions for rides:

Gemini Bridges Not technical, nice sights, some slickrock (nothing hard) and a big parking area right off the highway. This area is about 4 miles north of town right off the highway and there is a big marker at the trail head.

Klondike Bluffs This is 9 miles north of Town on the main higway leading into town. Take the road north and stop on the south end of the bridge. There is a parking area. Go through the Gate and ride in. The first couple of miles is road (you could even take the RV in if not muddy) the trail is not technical and winds it's way to the border of Arches national park (no bikes allowed) There will be a dead end, park the bikes and walk in (about 1/2 mile) totally amazing views and totally worth it.

Slick Rock/Fins & Things / Porcupine Rim This is a bit more technical, Slickrock is not bad but lots of steep up and down. You can do the practice loop 1.4 miles before deciding weather she wants more. If you like that you can ride straigt to Fins & Things or over to Porcupine Rim although PR is much more rocks and ledges.

MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE TIME TO SEE ARCHES NATIONAL PARK!!!

Rod

Last edited:

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
The Moab East and West maps are probably best to have. Also really useful is the "Guide to Moab UT Backroads & 4WD Trails" - oriented to Jeeps, but good for pictures, descriptions, maps and GPS coordinates. You can buy a copy at the visitors center and most shops in town.

http://www.4x4books.com/mub.htm

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
Thanks for the info. I have the Moab West map and have spent quite a bit of time backpacking in Arches and Canyonlands. Now the question, should I bring the KDX200 or my KX500. I'm just getting used to the 500 and am now leaning towards it, of course the KDX is better in the tight stuff.

holmy

May 6, 2003
The area between Hanksville & Capital Reef N.P. (due west of Moab) is also very interesting. About 12 mi. west of Hanksville and a little ways east of Caineville is a popular play area. Riding around Factory Butte is awesome, but would probably be better for you on the KX than your daughter on a KDX. Have fun on your trip, wished I was down there right now!

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Holmy,

I've covered an awful lot of Moab but never ridden the area you mentioned

Do you know of any maps of that area? I'd guess it's all primitive camping out there? :)

holmy

May 6, 2003
This area is not the same terrain as moab, it's more like the surface of the moon on steriods. In some parts of it you could run a paddle if you wanted. They have used this place in alot of extreme videos. If you went on a weekend you probably could find someone to show you around as it is a huge area. Anyone with more info on maps or any other info want to jump in ?

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
What about the Mountains just West of monticello? There are a couple campgrounds up there (getting high and probably cool) that I believe have some long trails connecting? Anyone know about that, or where I can stop on my way in SW CO or NW NM for some quick fun rides?

Top Bottom