RM Dan

Mar 28, 2000
I started going to a new motocross track close to my house. Whenever I get to a new track I pick a few jumps that I am going to start focusing on then start riding it. Anyway there are two smaller doubles right after berms. It seemed like a good place to start but it seems like I just cannot get enough speed to clear the doubles. After my third lap I would pin it in 2nd and only half the time clear the first double. The other half of the time was basically entertainment for everyone watching.

The second double I basically cased it to death every time.

What confuses me is I see the better riders just mosey through the berm then barely blip it and they clear them with no problem. I am on the gas like it was the end of the world through the berm and all the way up the face on the jump.

I have tried 2nd pinned and 3rd floored and feathered. It seems like I only clear the first one in 2nd pinned.

I am also preloading my suspension the best I can. Maybe that is the problem? Maybe I need to compress it more?

I have a 00 RM 250. The only thing I have not had to redo has been the suspension.

Any suggestions?

------------------
00 RM 250
90 RM 250

Ocracing

Feb 12, 2001
Wow.

That sounds like a FUN track :)

Your 00RM250 should be MORE than enough bike to clear those doubles! Even stock...

But, how much straight do you have before the 1st double, and between the 1st and 2nd doubles?

Wish I could ride with ya! See if I could do it on my 125 !! lol

Curt

------------------
2000 YZ 125 - #26
-Outta Control Racing-
Goodies?: FMF Goldseries Fatty Pipe, Power Core 2 Silencer, Boyesen Carbon Fiber Racing Reeds, Excel Rims, Renthal Twin-Wal Bars, Wiseco Pro Lite Piston Kit, Sunstar Sprockets, DID ERT Gold Chain...

Keltracer

Aug 27, 2000
What line are you choosing through the corner? That might be your problem. Try picking a line that allows you to carry more speed through the corner (usually the outside line, riding the berm, rather than squaring off the corner).

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

krash133

Feb 2, 2001
Yes, definitely try to carry as much speed through the corner as possible. This is why the pros don't have to gun it to clear the jump. They already have most of the speed they need to clear the jump after the corner.

RM Dan

Mar 28, 2000
Well I am picking a solid line (pretty outer) and for the most part carrying a pretty good amount of speed through it.

Ocracing – I have like 8 feet between the berm and the face of the jump. Pretty short.

The thing that still gets me is I know those faster guys are not going faster than me through the turns because I was following them. All the way up the face. They would clear it with feet to spar and I would almost always come up short.

One of the instructors down here seems to talk a lot about compressing the suspension to almost do like a bunny hop (like on a BMX bike) to get more vertical.

------------------
00 RM 250
90 RM 250

Bill Purcell

Jan 25, 2000
Are the faster guys sitting or standing when they take off? If they're seat bouncing, that could explain why it looks like they're just cruising to the jump, but still clearing it.

Ocracing

Feb 12, 2001
8 Feet... Hmmm

It sounds like the faster riders are preloading their suspension before take off, already knowing that they have to do this to clear the double.

You should look into this truely amazing technique, as I am still perfecting it myself...

Some of us are naturals, and some of are not.

You should work on your corner speed, and on the face of the takeoff, put all of your weight on the pegs of the bikes, hold onto the seat with your knees, and make sure that your head is over the bars...

You are sure to get some good lift with this technique, and also IMPRESS your friends :) lol..

Curt

------------------
2000 YZ 125 - #26
-Outta Control Racing-
Goodies?: FMF Goldseries Fatty Pipe, Power Core 2 Silencer, Boyesen Carbon Fiber Racing Reeds, Excel Rims, Renthal Twin-Wal Bars, Wiseco Pro Lite Piston Kit, Sunstar Sprockets, DID ERT Gold Chain...

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
SEAT BOUNCING IS A GREAT WAY TO GET MORE LIFT AND DISTANCE ON A SHORT APPROACH JUMP. ALSO, JUST SIT AND LISTEN TO THE FAST GUYS JUMP THE JUMP. HOW MUCH ARE THEY ON THE GAS...IS IT A BURP OR A BRAAAAAP...IT ISN'T ALWAYS HOW FAST YOU HIT THE JUMP BUT HOW MUCH YOU TWIST IT.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
A couple things come to mind. How heavey are you? If you're on the heavier side, that could be causing the lack of flight at relatively the same speed of others. Also, have you set your sag? Rebound? Compression? Revalved the suspenders? All of these can mean the difference of clearing or casing. Especially the revalving. Get with Jeremy over on the Suspension forum about the suspenders. That 2000 RM250 has plenty of power to clear it.

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook at My Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

krash133

Feb 2, 2001
The faster riders might be leaned a little more back on the bike, making better traction and drive to clear the jump. Also, if your not hooking up more throttle will not get you over the jump. Try rolling on the throttle to get a smooth good drive all the way off the jump.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
I believe preloading is the key to all jumps. Kind of like a bunny-hop on a mountain bike. Keep working on it, your bound to clear it soon.
RMDan, is that track in Tampa? I think we flew over it last month while coming into Tampa. Details, or a web address would be helpful.

------------------
2001 WR426F
"The measure of a man is what he does with power."

Jewell

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have noticed the same thing. Going fast enough just not jumping far. I lowered my front sprocket 1 tooth. I now have alot snappier throttle and when I approach the face of the jump I am at middle throttle. Right before I get to the face I gun it, and hold it to the peak of the face. The incline of the face and the extra acceleration seem to be compressing my suspension and holds it untill the peak of the face. And BOOM... I hit my first double just 2 weeks ago. It was freakin amazing. Let me know if you have any questions about that. I'm no expert, but I can do a double and put it into words.

------------------
1997 Kx 125
1997 GSX-R 750
Doin a wheely between a rock and a hard place.

200Proof

Feb 27, 2001
I use to have the same problem with this double right after a berm at the track I ride at. A guy I was talking with said to stay sitting down on the seat til your front tire comes off the face of the jump and then stand up. This pre-loads the spring when you are sitting down coming up the jump with the gas on. When you let off the gas stand up and it will give you the "hop" effect. It took we a while to get use to it but now I fly over the double with no problem.

------------------
2000 YZ-250

Top Bottom