RABEXC450

Apr 1, 2003
I am looking for information on the best manufacturers for the following replacement parts for my '03 KTM 450 EXC:

Front Sprocket
Chain
Rear Cog

I ride at Paragon Adventure Park mostly woods and hard pack. I like the current gearing that came with the bike and am interested in obtaining info w/ links please.

Thank you in advance,

Reid

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
What makes you think Ti is better than stock?

RABEXC450

Apr 1, 2003
I guess that being an avid mountain biker... Ti is lighter and typically more durable. I'm not saying that stock was not good, but I'm looking for better if that exists. I have picked up that the chain to get is the DID chain. Any suggestions for front and rear sprockets? I have only 28 hrs on my 03 450 EXC and they are both worn out. Is that a typical shelf life? Please enlighten me. I plan on riding about three-six days per week for orughly 2-4 hrs per day on tight technical single track and some mx track riding as well.

Thank you in advance.

Reid
www.paragonap.com

dog2

Sep 26, 2002
Something is VERY wrong if your stock chain/sprockets is worn out that fast. The stock KTM chain and sprockets are excellent quality and should last for hundreds of hours and a minimum of 1,500 miles. I suspect you are running the chain way too tight. It is much better to error on the loose side. The only thing I can think of that would ruin a chain and sprockets that quickly is not enough slack. By the way, how are you determining they are worn out?

The best chain and sprockets for the typical rider are hard anodized aluminum rear, steel front, and a high quality o-ring or x-ring chain. If you run mostly mud, you may want a steel rear, but there is a weight penalty. Brand is not that important, but I have been happy with Talon or Renthal sprockets. Regina, high end DID, or Tsubaki O or X ring chain is good. People go with Titanium to save a few ounces over aluminum, not because the rear sprocket is wearing too fast.

RABEXC450

Apr 1, 2003
Dog2,

Thank you for your most informative reply. The shop where i get it serviced mentioned that te front cog was getting worn. I am going to compare it to another KTM 450 EXC this weekend at Paragon and see if the kid knew what he was talking about. Obviously I don't, I just ride the damn thing :)

How about the Sidewinder product?

I can tell tire wear when I see it... and my tires are worn. When I icked up the bikes they had motocross tires. I am guessing that they are made of a very soft rubber. I primarily ride at Paragon Adventure Park (www.paragonap.com) which consists of varrying terrain from soft/hard sand, soft loamy single track with abrasive conglomorate rocks thrown in for good measure. Quite a bit of muddy double track also with rocks present and wide open access/logging roads that are primarily hard pack. I guess that I would be looking for an "ALL MOUNTAIN" tire? Is there such a thing? Who makes the best tire for that type of application?

Thank you,

Reid

dog2

Sep 26, 2002
I haven't used Sidewinder products, but I think they would be fine. Just stick with hard anodized aluminum rear and an o-ring chain and you should be fine. You won't go wrong with Answer, Renthall, or FMF sprockets.

As far as tires, if you ask 30 riders, you will get 30 different answers. There are a lot of good tires. Personally, I prefer Pirelli MT-18 front (longer wear, hold up well in rocks, great traction) or MT-32 front (great traction, good in mud and sand and all around). I like the MT-16 in 4.50-18 rear for all around and long wear. I also like the MT-32 rear. Dunlop 756 is a good all-around tire as well.

Bridgestone and Michelin make comparable tires, but I don't know the part number that would best suit your needs.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Awesome sprockets at: http://www.ironmansprockets.com/
Great RFS info (especially good chain adjustment info) at: http://www.x1networks.com/rfs.htm
And a good "all-around" tire combo, with good wear life is Michelin M-12 front and S-12 rear (130/80-18 size).
Magoo

Katoum

Dec 24, 2000
If your sprockets wore that fast I would suggest you check your rear wheel bearings as soon as possible. They may very well be trashed from running the chain to tight.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
RAB----front cogs often wear out faster than rear cogs and many riders have luck replacing just the front cog IF they do it early. Is the rear cog actually worn out? (along with the chain?) or are you getting bad advice? :eek:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom