Camber

Jun 12, 2007
Hey all, my first post.

1) your physical size. 5.8ish 160 pounds.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? about 8 out of 10
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Woods, fields, friends.
4) Do you have any riding experience? A little. I can shift. :)
5) Do you think you will race ? I doubt it.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Mostly not
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? no
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? all
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $3000
10) Do you live in California? Nope
11) Your age? 22
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion. Want to get started ASAP. No idea what it is what.

Last edited:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
If you wanted to go that rount (4-stroke) then a CRF230, or a ttr-230, or a XR 250 will be fine for you...

But if you wanted to go 2-stroke, then any 125 2-stroke will be good..

From the bikes i listed they are both about the same in maintenence. And they are about the same "speed" the 2-stroke might be alittle faster, but you need to be on the gas, or in the higher RPM's, and the 4-stroke hase a lot of low end power, and you dont have to be in the high RPM's.

The 4-stroke will weight more than the 2-strokes.

Now if you wanted to go new age MX 4-strokes like the CRF250X, or a WR250F then that would be great, just a wee bit bigger than the 125 2-stroke, but it would require alot more maintenence. More often...

But you will be happy with anything listed above...

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
If I were you, I'd start on a bike such as a 125 two-stroke, some are:

Yamaha YZ125
Suzuki RM125
Kawasaki KX125
Honda CR125

The bikes are good for beginners because they have power, but they also don't need the upkeep that four stroke will have, and considering you aren't "mechanically inclined" this would be a good decision. Less money you'd have to fork out to pay for fixes.

May 10, 2007
if 2 strokes make twice the power then what is wrong with the 125 and 250f in the same class :P

also 2 strokes are easier to work on if you need to crack fix something.

Jan 3, 2007
flyingfuzzball, you might consider the way a 4 stroke makes it power in comparison to a 2 stroke. In acuality a 250F and 125 almost make the same peak HP but the 125 has no bottom end. So, unless you keep the 125 in its power the bike is no match for a 250F near the bottom. http://www.maxpower-engines.com/big-bore-kits/yz167.htm
Here is a great example of what the power looks like. Even with the ilegal 167 kit it still only makes the bottom of a stock 250F. Now if you tune the 250F you might even might want to give up while your ahead.

Camber

Jun 12, 2007
Well thanks to all your help! I picked up a brand spanking new Yamaha ttr 230. $2,499. in Jefferson WI. 5 hour drive, but it was worth it!!!

Camber

Jun 12, 2007
One more question, since I have some attention, What gear as far as tools will I need when I go riding? I am assuming bring chain lube and a spark plug, but what else?

Top Bottom