suzuk!_ch!k

Feb 28, 2007
:whoa: ive heard that it is alright to shift without using the clutch but ive also heard that it is really bad for ur bike...wat should i do..... :whoa:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You should do what works for you.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
Motorcycle gear boxes are of the constant-mesh type. That means the gears are always meshed together and rotating. The gear is locked in by sliding on the shaft into its companion gear. The locking is done by what is called the gear dogs.

This type of transmission is very durable and can take much abuse. Read shifting without the clutch. While it is recommended to use the clutch every time you shift most racers and riders do not use it unless starting out in first gear. I personally never use the clutch when shifting. If you back the throttle off a little when shifting it is almost as good as using the clutch as far as wearing out your gear dogs goes.

So:
Best: Use the clutch every shift
Good: Back off the throttle a lot before you shift
O.K.: Back off the throttle a little before you shift
Racing conditions: Shift without the clutch, full throttle and don't back the throttle off a hair.

Modern racing motorcycles are expected to be able to shift under full power without the clutch and not break the transmission.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
suzuk!_ch!k said:
:whoa: ive heard that it is alright to shift without using the clutch but ive also heard that it is really bad for ur bike...wat should i do..... :whoa:

do a search in the "Riding Techniques and Injuries" sub-forum, there have been several very long and helpful/useful tips and tricks in those threads.

biznizzle60

May 28, 2007
Although I agree with you husbutt, I have had to rebuid a transmission on a cr125, because a guy tried shifting full power with no cluth in the woods and ripped 1st and third gear apart, because it was a constant mesh. And somehow he also snapped a shift fork. But I would do what you are comfortable with

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Unfortunaly, there is not true or right answer to your question. Instead, there are many opinions on what is right, typically, these opinions are based on either lap times or potential repair bills. Husabutt may have given the best explanation that you will get.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
it is a lot faster to not use it but i did it in practice and only had 1st and 2nd gear because for some reason it would not shift any more. well i got it apart and most of the bearings that were not mashed into the cases came out from the bottom of the motor in bb sized pieces and some looked like saw dust. but it is faster which is the goal. and $1200 it is back together. including $500 for new cases alone

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
biznizzle60 said:
Although I agree with you husbutt, I have had to rebuid a transmission on a cr125, because a guy tried shifting full power with no cluth in the woods and ripped 1st and third gear apart, because it was a constant mesh. And somehow he also snapped a shift fork. But I would do what you are comfortable with

this one could be debated. one could argue the broken shift fork caused the broken gears.
I've built a lot of motors from pretty much only racers and most don't use the clutch. most do slightly chop the throttle to let the gears change. I've seen many 3rd gears break and most are due to low oil level combined with the fact that this is the most common gear to be in all the time.
If I were a racer I'd not use the clutch. if I were just putting around...well I'd use the clutch a little. but then again I shift my car without the clutch too...just takes knowing when to shift and when to drop it in gear.

Boonie770

Jan 2, 2006
You all are saying the same thing. It is all about the load, and torque in the engine going throught to the drive train. I "TRY" to use the clutch whenever the engine is pulling hard with good traction. I all comes down to common sense it it feels like your jammin the transmission hard then you should prolly use the clutch to ease the sudden load on your transmission.

Top Bottom