Status
Not open for further replies.

Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
Alright, I need all you sport compact guys help. I'm getting a '96 Dodge Neon. It's a 4 cyl. SOHC. I need to know what exactly I need to do to beat my friend's stock '94 Camaro. Now I know it is possible with the right mods. and I need to know what mods. I can do (besides a turbo, and NOS-but if I have to so be it) So far I've been thinking about a new intake kit, headers, plugs and wires, and exhaust. Anything else would be appreciated.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Sell the Neon and buy a better camaro than your friends. It'll be cheaper.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Well, I guess you could go and buy 4 more cylinders, that'll be a start! Try bracket racing, you'll have a better shot. My guess, shoot for somewheres around 18 seconds.:):) NOS works for a good boost but your little Neon motor will be whining after a few shots of it, kinda like a 12 year old taking Tequilla shots!
Elk

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i miss the muscle cars of the sixties. it's hard to get excited about 4 cylinders and imports.

damn, i wish i hadn't sold that super bee.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You know 547, I feel the same about my 66 Elk. I don't want to be one of the guys that says, "Gosh, I used to have one of those, wish I never sold it." I'm gonna hold on to this one, wish you still had yours too!
Elk

snackbar54

Feb 17, 2002
go fred!!

first, buy plasma cutter, take out driver side flooring, engine, all other seats, actually everything but the steering wheel and 4 tires, now....put your feet down and run...flinstone style, ahah, then make sure to lube up the behind, because hes gonna run that camaro right up your ass! a neon on camaro....classic!!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Back when I was in high school. Damn I'm starting to sound like my Dad.
The year was 1976 and I had a friend with a Vega that smoked all the Cuda's, Camaro's etc. It was a very stong running Vega with a Chev 427 in it. I was kind of fun to watch the frame twist when he stomped on it.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
My brother has a 72 Vega with a Ford 9 inch rear end and a powerglide tranny. He's in the process of building the motor, he won't tell me what it's gonna be! He's supposed to run it at the Super Chevy Show in Pomona this year. Can't wait.
Elk

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by Honda Rider
Alright, I need all you sport compact guys help. I'm getting a '96 Dodge Neon. It's a 4 cyl. SOHC. I need to know what exactly I need to do to beat my friend's stock '94 Camaro. Now I know it is possible with the right mods. and I need to know what mods. I can do (besides a turbo, and NOS-but if I have to so be it) So far I've been thinking about a new intake kit, headers, plugs and wires, and exhaust. Anything else would be appreciated.

I've seen 4 cylinder cars run 10sec in a quarter mile but what you have to do to get them there makes the car unstreetable. So if you want to go nuts spend tons of money and have a car that darn near undrivable on the street you could beat your friends Camaro. Doesn't sound very practical does it?

RMXkid

Jul 13, 2001
lets see you need to put headers, cat back system, turbocharge it, performance intake, cold air intake kit, cam, efi chip, port and polish the heads, nitrous, ignition system, bore it, a new clutch to handle all the new power you have unleashed. that should get you started.:p :aj:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
First of all, I'm going to sound like a whiner. But race at the track. Not the street.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU CAN GO. IT'S HOW YOU go FAST. :D

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
If you're set on making that Neon go faster, go to your nearest Mopar Performance dealer. Not all Dodge dealers carry the speed parts, but it shouldn't be that hard to find one. They have books on what you need to do to make your car go fast. I believe the Mopar Performance parts catalogue has it broken down by e.t.. So if you want your car to do the quarter in say, 15 seconds, you'll need these parts. It will give you the Mopar part numbers, but you should be able to get the general idea if you want to get a different brand of part. I paid $5 for a catalogue a few years ago. They also have books on setting it up for handling, which is what those Neons are better at. When I was doing my Challenger, these Mopar books were worth 10 times what you pay.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Get a Summit Racing or Jegs catalog. Order every hi-po part for a Neon including Nitrous. Then you "might" have a chance on slicks.

Mar 29, 2001
Are you gonna take this Neon on some closed cicuit race tracks and actually use it when modified? You can find better toys to blow your money on. If you really want to beat the pants of any car to the next stop light why not get youself a nice crotch rocket or something?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Neon beats a Camaro:

Instructions.

1) Find a mountain and take both to the top.
2) Have the race set from the top to the bottom.
3) Wave the flag and let the Camaro take off down the road.
4) Pull the neon to the edge of the cliff that reaches the bottom.
5) Push it over the cliff.

AND YOUR THE BIG WINNER!

It'd cost you less to buy another Neon after you beat him than to convert yours.

This is kinda simple really, I'm suprised no one else came up with it. :aj:

Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
Yeah, I know, I should get a better car to trick out, but this will have to work for awhile-kinda blew up my Cougar:ugg: I won't be doing any closed track racing, just a little street racing. Oh well, If I can't beat him no big deal, just seein' what I can do to the Neon. Oh, and I can't get a crotch rocket-I tried, my parents refuse to let me own a street bike until I'm outta college-which is why I plan to attend college OUT of state, what they don't know won't hurt them.;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
STREET RACING! Big no no my friend. Take my advice, don't do it. You never know when ma and pa will be pulling out of the grocery store lot! Go to a street legal drag, please.
Elk

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by Honda Rider
I won't be doing any closed track racing, just a little street racing ............Oh, and I can't get a crotch rocket-I tried, my parents refuse to let me own a street bike until I'm outta college-which is why I plan to attend college OUT of state, what they don't know won't hurt them.;)

I see why your parents won't let you have a sportbike. If your stupid enough to drag or race on the street. Then you'r way to stupid for a sportbike. Sorry to be so blunt. But I'm just going on the facts you gave me. Any idiot that is racing around me and my family (even walking or driving) and puts us in danger, I will beat him to the ground:aj: . I won't do anything then, since I will most likely have my family with me. But I will have your tags, and trust me I then will know where to find that person. Anyone who does not have the common sense, OR THE BALLS, to go to the track and drag or race. Will pay the price, or end up making someone else pay the price. So Honda Rider, before it's to late. Go to the track.

Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
Well lets get something straight Wraith. I'm not the dumbass you think I am. I'm actually on the honor roll, and TAG in my school, hell, I'd bet I'm smarter than you! See, I'm actually smart enough to go to places where there aren't other cars, or people to endanger. I only race at night, with spotters. OH, and my parents know I drag, my dad used to all the time when he was my age, you see, when it's just 2 cars, on a closed road, it's actually not that dangerous, but I suppose you were Mr. Perfect in highschool.We make sure we don't get somebody else hurt, and are you saying you NEVER raced your car on the street before, or were you one of those guys who just narked on everybody else who did? Next time you go assuming crap, make sure you think about what you're gonna say.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Hey I'm smart too, I've never left the house with two different shoes on and I got out of college in four years. Therefore I can tell you that street racing is for wanna-be's. I believe you on the not through populated area crap, but I've known guys who've hit cows (messed the passenger up), guys who have rolled it in remote areas away from help, and plenty of other stupid tales. Plus I live in the country and hate listening to glass packs and coffee can tips interupting an otherwise perfect breeze through the tree leaves.

Out of all that the most annoying thing about street racing and most fun thing about track racing is the fact that there is no doubt about who won and who redlighted. Plus, you don't have to listen to bull****ters talking about 12 second cars and trap speeds. Anyone whose been to the track knows that anything streetable in the 12's ain't messin' around.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
This is going down hill fast! Honda, don't take it so hard, you are hearing from us guys who are alot older than you. If you haven't figured it out by now, this site has some great people on it that want to keep the dirt riding sport alive and in good graces. When we here about kids that are street racing and burning donuts on people's grass, that doesn't sit well. I think it's great that you do so well in school, I wish my kids were at your level. Just remember that there are all sorts of people here on this site and not everyone will agree with you. Good luck
Elk

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
And before it gets any lower I am closing it down.

But the one thing about moderating I can have the last word Street racing is illegal for more reasons than we can discuss here. Yes spotters are great but what about the guy that wakes up to the noise walks out in the dark to get some license numbers and gets smeared by one of the hero's racing. No I was not perfect in my youth but I learned from my (as well as others ) mistakes and sometimes get to pass the information along. Once passed it is up to the receiver to decide what to do with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom