a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Elk Jr. is getting an 01 RM250 in the box from the factory and I need to know what things to do for the setup. Other than checking all the bolts, spokes and greasing the streering head and linkage, what about the break in? Is it different than doing a top end? We'll have to assemble it, what little there is to do, and set it up so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Elk

skhasky

Apr 8, 2002
In the crate you will have a few parts to assemble (just a few to attach to the bike). As for the greasing - you are totally correct! They come with little or no grease in the steering/linkage. Check the tranny and radiator - they ship empty. Also, make sure the brake reservoirs are topped off. As for break-in.... you are working with a brand-new top end AND bottom-end. I like Tom Morgan (of TMR RAcing's) method. DO NOT increase the amount of oil in the premix - run standard 40-1 (32 -1 if that is what you usually run). Use NON-SYNTHETIC for the first tank! Synthetic won't allow the rings to seat properly. Start it and run it at a crack above idle until it warms up. Stop and let it cool completely. Repeat this 'heat cycle 3 times). When you take it out, run your first laps staying under 1/2 throttle (about 15 minutes). Let cool completely. Run your second laps staying under 3/4 throttle (about 15 minutes). Let cool completely. Run your third laps normally, and make sure to do some short full-throttle bursts. Let cool completely. Your bike is now broken in. Stay easy on the brakes and clutch the first hour as well. When finished, you can drain the gas with the standard premix and refill with synthetic premix, but by that time it should be almost all gone anyway.

Some people swear by break-in, some don't care. A) It's not too tough, why risk it? B) My personal experience is that when you follow a good break in procedure like this, the top AND bottom last longer and the bike runs better in the long run.

Enjoy it!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks, just what I needed. I'll give you an update when complete.
Elk

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Elk,
Also make sure you take apart the kick starter and grease it. I got my new one in and pulled it apart to file some stress reliefs in it and there was absolutly zero grease in the pivot. I'm glad I pulled it apart.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks RM, will do. :D

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom