New 06 CRF450x for $4899 plus fees?

YZmidLife

Nov 23, 2006
A local Honda shop is advertising unridden 2006 CRF450x's for $4899 plus fees. Is this a killer deal?

I was originally looking for a KTM 450EXC, but I can barely find a used '05 for that price. But then I would rather pay more for the KTM now if the reliability and maintenance is better.

Are these much less maintenance-intensive than the 450R's?

J-man

May 16, 2007
they are a little less maintenance from what i hear but you still have to maintain them nomatter what.

Jan 3, 2007
Not way less but some test magazines have 200 hours on a top end with the proper valve adjustments. I would recomend you replace the top end much befor that thoe. Sounds like a good deal so go for ir.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Any bike will wear in accordance to how it's ridden. If you are light in the right wrist, they will hold up well. On the other hand if you are bouncing it off the rev limiter all the time, it will wear quickly. There is NO WAY I would go 200 hours on a top end. Not even 100 without an intensive inspection. Once you tear it down the first time you will know how the bike wears under your circumstances. I would do that before 100 hrs for sure. I am not too hard on my 250f, but at 60 hrs the piston skirt was showing somw wear and I could hear a bit of noise in the tp end at idle. The crf won't be any more maintenance than any other high performance 450. That deal does sound pretty good. If I were you I'de scoop it up, as long as they don't try to pack you with a ton of "fees". Good luck!

YZmidLife

Nov 23, 2006
Well... quoted setup fees were $500, not including licensing fees. Still a good deal at $5500, but the whole hidden cost bit just doesn't sit well. What a slimy practice. I'd have much more respect for, as well as do business with, a place that advertised the actual price. Even if it costs a little more.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…