new bike and wat to look for.

Dev555

Jan 21, 2009
hows it going. im looking to buy a 125 but cnt decide and im also buying second hand and dont no any signs of a badly looked after bike. ive been con'd in the past by buying a cr 125 and it didnt last very long. cn u give me any pointers or tits in make and wat to look for?

f4stunter

Dec 18, 2008
I'm new too but I would say excessive spooge, loose or wobbly wheels, handle bars, swingarm, or shock bearings/bushings. That can be hard to check but if there noticably bad walk away. look for any cracks in the welds on the frame and swingarm.

DougTx

~SPONSOR~
Oct 5, 2008
Check YouTube

There are some articels from Expert Village and some others that help you look for what to look for (and what to look out for) when buying a used dirt bike (overall condition, wheel bearings, compression, etc etc)

That failing, find a reputable local mechanic and take it for an inspection. May be the best hour or so of labor you have ever spent. If owner won't consent to that (at your cost of course) then I would walk away. Tough economy and lot's of bikes out there.

Google is also your friend on what to look for articles.

Best of luck... the trouble is worth it...riding is great even when you ahve some problems getting it all dialed in (read other posts on my recent ordeals of not getting someone to inspect first, I came out lucky in the end and only lost about $500 to labor to make it right)

:cool:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I'm sure there are good deals out there. But with any used 125, I'd have cash on hand for a new top end because the first thing you should do is pull the cylinder and inspect the top end.

Top Bottom