kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
Hey all , what is the difference in the mxc and the exc, is it the lack of lights for the mxc, I am looking for 450 or 525, any suggestions, thanks Kevin

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
lack of lights and slight gearing differance exc is wide ratio tranny mxc is more of a moto-x tranny

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
As far as I know the transmission is the big difference between the two bikes. The MXC does not have a computer and I haven't noticed on mine if it has a speedometer hookup on the hub. The MXC has the stator but I am not sure if the output is as high as the stator on the EXC, i.e. high enough to run the lights. I think I read that the output is the same, but don't remember for sure.

The MXC is geared for more open terrain (i.e. desert). When I purchased my 400MXC I dropped the final drive ration from 14/50 to 13/52 and have found the bike to be fine in the woods as long as they are not overly tight.

The MXC has a bigger tank as well. I never fill my tank past half full when riding around here in the woods. Too much weight too high up.

Oh ... all the plastic will swap about, at least up till this last change in plastic.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Unless you just really need it, I'd recommend the EXC tank on your MXC if that's what you go with. That's the way mine came, with an EXC tank, and it's perfect. It's big enough that you can fill it up in the morning and ride all day, but not so big that it is hard to handle when full. I like the look of the EXC with shrouds better than the one piece MXC tank. Seems like all the plastic is pretty much interchangable, but if you check the parts section of ktmtalk.com you can see if the parts numbers match up.

The tranny is supposed to be a big difference. I like the higher first gear on my MXC. I've found that when I'm just putting, first gear works great. Plus, I don't need to be riding fast enough to top out 6th anyways. Supposedly there's a 3 or 4 mph difference between to EXC and MXC 6th gears, hardly enough to matter in 99.9% of situations you would encounter.

Top Bottom