New bike! what do i need to check over?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Grease bearings, properly torque fasteners, spokes, make sure everything is good.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
sixds said:
where can i get a clymer manual online?
Get a FACTORY manual from whatever manufacturer you get a bike from. WAAAAY better than a Clymer manual.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Patman said:
Get a FACTORY manual from whatever manufacturer you get a bike from. WAAAAY better than a Clymer manual.
depends on the factory. Yamaha's manuals rock. And they come free with the bike. Honda wants another 50 bones. KTM comes free as well, but it's half full of Austrian or something, and I don't have my buddy Vulf there to translate for me all the time.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The KTM manuals that came with my bike were great, very detailed but the factory work shop manual was $100 and significantly better plus had lots of english words in it.

The Honda manuals are of course awesome.

I've seen the blue books and they too are excellent. I would imagine the factory worshop manual from any manufacturer is quite a bit more details than anything that an outside source would supply. Proven up by the Clymer manual that somebody gave me for my Bronco vs. the Ford Service CD that I purchased that is darn near full of 650MB of detailed info. Heck I picked up 2 sets of factory manuals for my 3000GT which were 2 volumes each about 2" thick! and not a single Japanese character :)

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Don’t assume that the factory and/or the dealer has taken care of everything just because the bike is new.

clean and re-oil the air filter
check the engine/transmission oil
change it after the first ride
use a good petroleum based oil until it is broken in
lube the swing arm and linkage bearings
lube the steering head bearings
check the air pressure in the tires
check fasteners after a ride or two
check spoke tightness
use some blue Loctite on fasteners for the kickstarter, shifter, kickstand, etc.

Again, don’t assume anything.

Have a ball with the new bike!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Do check and tighten all bolts. My friend just purchased a 2007 KX250F and he lost that big bolt on the left side engine cover while riding this weekend. Now he is going to tear the engine apart for fear that some sand entered into there.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom