bashn

Dec 6, 2000
For other 180lb riders out there, I just put heavier springs on my YZ250F. I went with RaceTech .46kg fork springs and a 5.0kg shock. I dropped the fork oil level to 140mm from 115mm. Manual states 140mm was stock, but for some reason, mine measured 115. I went 14/11 comp/reb on the forks, 7/10 on the shock with 100mm race sag. What a difference! Jumping landings are a MUCH more pleasurable experience and I find it much easier to clear short-take-off doubles/whoops. Now the bike bottoms firmly only once or twice in a lap and I feel much more in control overall. I would recommend this change for anyone in the 180-200lb range, particularly if you are bottoming hard in whoops or jump landings.

Mark
'01 YZ250F
'00 DRZ400

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Its not possible to measure the fork oil height after the bike has been ridden as when the oil height is set the fork is brimmed then oil removed from the centre damper rod area while have a certain amount of trapped oil inbetween the inner and outer stantions(about 30mm worth)so if you pull up the outer stantion it dumps that oil into the damper rod area so giving a higher level.

bashn

Dec 6, 2000
Thanks marcusgunby,

I thought there might be an error in the way I measured the fork oil level, since I didn't follow the procedure exactly as outlined in the manual. I removed 25cc of oil from each leg anyway because RaceTech said more oil would be displaced by the heavier springs, and I knew it would be easier to add some back in rather than take it out. As it turned out, removing 25cc's was perfect for bottoming control. I decided not to add any back in. I suspect if I measured the oil level correctly, it would read about 165mm. (removing 25cc's dropped the level 25mm). :rolleyes:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom