Dragonfly

May 8, 2002
Hi guys,
I have had this 92 KDX 200 for about 4 months. My first dirt bike. The Chain adjuster is about 1 notches away from being maxed out. I am ready to buy a new chain. I'm running a 12 toof on the front and a 48 toof on the rear. What chain size do I need? thanks,
Rich

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
chain size is 520 with 108 links if you buy a chain with more then that you will have to cut some off but 108 is stock if you have the money get a o-ring chain much better

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
How is the o-ring chain better?

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
The purpose of the ORings is to keep mud/dirt out of the roller bearings thus extending the life of the chain. I have also found that they dont tend to stretch as bad as the non Oring variety.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
And a stretched chain eats your sprockets... MX guys say they weigh too much and sap a little horsepower since the rubber rings make them the tinyest bit less flexible. Probably won't find an O-ring chain on RC's bike but I've got one on mine:)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
How is the o-ring chain better?

Take a stock 200 (non o-ring), ride it 6 times, adjust the chain at every ride, then replace the entire final drive assy cuz it's shot.

Or....put on an o-ring chain...run it every weekend for over 2 years..adjust it once.

Take your pick.

For those that can't abide the power loss of an o-ring chain (the likes of RC I'd suppose), well..sorry 'bout that. I'd rather lose the pony and not have to replace the thing all the time.

If the question has to do with a 12T vs: a 13T CS sprocket, the 'stock' 108link chain works fine for both. Well, either? One at a time?

From Semantics U.:
Chains wear out. They don't stretch.

picky picky picky!!

Dragonfly

May 8, 2002
Thank you.. I had that bad experiance with an non O-ring chain on my 4-wheeler. Well worth the time and money to get the O-ring.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I was just curious as to the answers I would get.

Although o-ring chains were designed for use in adverse conditions, a chain has no roller bearings. The movement is pin/bushing. And a chain will stretch a little bit, some worse than others, but usually no more than on the very first ride. After that the enlongation of pitch is totally due to the wear of the friction surfaces.

I just want folks to be aware that you can indeed get good life out of a standard non-ring chain. Granted, if you run in slop every ride, then the o-ring is the way to go, but if you can't get more than six rides out of a standard chain set-up, they you have a problem in one of three area's...cleaning/adjusting/lubrication.

gettin' lost

Jul 27, 2002
I agree with what they are saying about the o-ring Chain, but if you race, than you want something that will have less friction -hence- you will have more power to the rear wheel, and an o-ring chain will NOT do that for you! Beware, that if you use a chain without o-rings or x-rings the chain WILL stretch WAY FASTER and mess up your sprocket. The price for victory will pay itself off , in changing a chain every two races!
Also the Size is critical in width!! The length can be long, all you have to do is remove links!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Originally posted by gettin' lost
Beware, that if you use a chain without o-rings or x-rings the chain WILL stretch WAY FASTER and mess up your sprocket. The price for victory will pay itself off , in changing a chain every two races!

Not true. That is what I'm trying to convey here. A standard chain can and WILL last every bit as long OR LONGER than an o-ring chain if you know how to maintain it properly.
Now, they may not have lasted for you, but there is a problem if they don't.
Also, the slight friction differential of a ring chain will not make a difference in a race. Maybe on a dyno, but not in a race.

I'm not trying to be a butt here, it's just that so many of you pass on bogus information based on anecdotal data at best.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'anecdotal at best'

Just because something is 'anecdotal' doesn't mean it's not true.

My 'anecdotal' input is based on things like hundreds of thousands of miles on bikes with chains (R5s and RDs), getting well over 20,000 miles on a standard chain (ChainKote is great!). I prefer that knowledge (anecdotal) to any 'official' study.

Ha!...note my current street-seat doesn't even HAVE a chain ;)

..to each his own. Isn't that great!!!!

Last edited:

Dragonfly

May 8, 2002
Note to canyncarvr and Jaybird. Me being new in the sport, I see both
your names on most all of the posts here with lots of great info. I appreciate and respect both of your information. Thanks guys
Rich

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
canyncarvr,
I'm confused...you talk about getting no more than six rides out of a standard chain, then you say you get 20K out of a standard chain.
Did you run 3300 miles on each of the six rides? When I say anecdotal, it is not to say that a person did not experience what they claim, all I am saying is that thier experience could have, and would have, been better if they did things differently. When someone says they get only a half dozen rides out of a chain, then I know for a fact they either had the crappiest chain that money can buy or they did something incorrectly. Bottom line is, if you only get six rides out of a chain on a dirtbike, something is wrong and it should not be taken for granted that standard chains are junk. Actually a standard chain will probably be the very same chain as the ring chain (by the same mfg) save for maybe slightly modified plates to accept the rings. In the case of standard vs o-ring chains, the information that has been offered here is for sure anecdotal, and the short life that some are experienceing is not due to the fact that the chains lack integrity...rather the maintainer has issues that need to be addressed.
If you know something said to not be correct, do you just let it slide?

jeffw,
When the lubricant(sometimes grease/sometimes oil) that is placed in the pin/bushing area is consumed, there is no way you can replace it. The chain is on a downhill slide from there. A standard chain, on the other hand, can still accept lubricant in that area and if it has been properly lubed and maintained it can last past the point that the ring chain can.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom