Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
My gateway desktop died the other day, its 4 years old and was getting tired. I figure ill just get a new tower because the mointor and everything is still good. All i need in a computer is a word processor and the internet, which one should i get?

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Yeah my G5 iMac is going on 6 years and 4 generations old.Still kicks a$$.Make the switch.The only time I see a blue screen is when there's a picture of the sky.Make sure to spend the xtra cash an get AppleCare warranty.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Honestly, you should just go to Best Buy, or you favorite electronics store, and buy whatever is cheap. You don't appear to need anything more than a basic computer. Personally, I have always liked Dell, but I also like my machines customized. You should be able to install your existing word processor, or Works will be pre-installed. Worst case scenario is that you will need to download OpenOffice for your typing needs.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'd lean towards an Apple solution myself, the mini would be a good, clean, simple choice. We have 2 PC's and a Macbook in our house right now. The PC's are pretty heavy duty boxes but I have decided next time around it will be Apple products for replacements. Easy to use, rock solid, does everything you would be asking of it and it just has some cool apps and features.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I've been on Mac's for 5 years now.... after being on Winblose machines since windows was in beta...(1987 if I recall) Vista was the final nail. Never going back. EVER.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
to really help you, we need more details. Macs are nice, but may not fit your budget.

Do you have any friends that work on computers that could help you?

I "built" mine (technically I assembled it from components). I think I ended up with around $400in it not including monitor mouse keyboard, and ended up with a pretty respectable unit with room for cheap upgrades. That could have been more like $275 if I didn't care about graphics or gaming capability.

Also check out tigerdirect (also known as globalcomputer) and newegg. They probably sell machines pre-loaded and have better deals, more selection than best buy. And they have reviews on most items.

A lot of folks hate Vista. I still run XP and will stick with that for now, mostly because at this point why change. My wife has Vista on hers and loves it, and has no problems. It does not run well if you don't have enough RAM.

Last edited:

02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
Just get a tower, re-use your monitor, mouse, keyboard and be done with it. You can buy a great tower replacement for $300 and it will be light years ahead of your old one. With what you need it's the only way to go. Ive been building my own comps for over 10 years but If I needed a basic internet/word rig I would just buy a $300 tower. A windows disc alone is over $100. Then you need a case, motherboard, cpu, hard drive, memory, cd drive, etc. You get the point. I prefer XP still too but vista is all you can get pre assembled these days and will suit your needs just fine.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
I've got a nice mac mini 1.83 core2 duo with a 250 gig 7200 rpm HDD,and 2.5 gigs of ram I will sell you cheap. :)It's about to go on tha bay,but I'd rather cut a fellow rider a deal on it.Also I have books to show you all the in's & out's of OSX that I will throw in.

I bought it refurbished from Apple,and upgraded the HDD,and ram.It hasn't been on 6 times in the past year because I have a macbook that I used most of the time.

The Mac mini is an amazing little machine.You can't even hear it run.I can't even stand to own a loud tower computer anymore.

May 10, 2007
Okiewan said:
Getting cheap hardware is all good. But if you still have to run The evil bloatware, it'll cost more in the short run. Then of course there's the malware, spyware, pops, etc. That costs even more and still dosnt work (anti-virus).

you are aware that there are more and more viruses for macs being developed everyday? the reason not many existed before was because the people who make viruses want to infect the most people. now that more people are using macs more people are making viruses for them.

Last edited:

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
flyingfuzzball said:
you are aware that there are more and more viruses for macs being developed everyday? the reason not many existed before was because the people who make viruses want to infect the most people. now that more people are using macs more people are making viruses for them.
Could you back that claim up with solid,reliable information?

May 10, 2007
like the fact that my friend's mac just got nailed by a virus? of course he also pirates everything so that could be, well is, a major problem. also let me clarify what i was saying. when i said virus i meant any sort of malware.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12537279/ - the first mac virus 3 years ago. this came from somebody pirating something of course.

but as it turns out the newer the articles the less problems i have seen so i will have to ask my friend what release (?) of mac's OS he was using.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
The thing with a Mac is it will ask you if you want that installed.If you unthinking say yes you got the virus not the machine.In fact this is the lead paragraph from your link.Like Ron White says you can't fix stupid.I guarantee one of those links asked him to type in his password.

Benjamin Daines was browsing the Web when he clicked on a series of links that promised pictures of an unreleased update to his computer’s operating system.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I approach my Mac, use it, then it goes to sleep when I'm done. It never makes a noise. It doesn't get spyware, malware or anything like that. It can shut down and start up in less than one minute. It does everything I want and always works.

What more could I ask for?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
The only problems I ever have is when I have to turn on one of my old Windows laptops. :bang:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
regarding the comments of cost of software, that is only true if you put the pc. together yourself don't have a source to get the software free or cheap. I was under the impression most people "knew a guy" that hooked them up but maybe this isn't as common as I thought. Even so, if you are talking $1000 on up for a Mac I can buy a lot of software for the difference in price...of save the extra money and spend it on doo dads for the dirt bike.

PC towers don't have to be noisy, mine is whisper quiet...in fact the hard drive spinning is the loudest thing you hear and that is nearly silent.

Just like many stereotypes, there is usually some truth in some cases, but a fair number of exceptions as well. Obviously many happy owners of both types of computers, I just hated to see such a one sided response without a little fair representation from us lowly PC guys.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
No matter which platform pirated software is wrong. Me, I won't do it, it IS stealing. Same exact thing as walking in a store and taking something off the shelf and running out the door without paying. Even using educational packages when you are not a student is the same thing. I know of a few people that sell educational or institutional software to job blow for cheap, still pirated software because it is not being sold / used in the manner it was licensed.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
BTW, the Mac mini costs $599 loaded with software. No pirating necessary :)

Top Bottom