New Dunlop's or Michelin S-12, M-12???

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I know this has been beat to death... But, Now there has been enough time to pass that we can get some good info on these new fangled Dunlops. How are they compared to the tried and true S-12's? I need some new rubber so... I thought I would ask what people think of them... what models are good combo's? I sure was not impressed with the stock Dunlops that came on the thing ...that's for sure.... Tried Maxxis 6001's and they would throw a roost for yards... and wear like iron......but that's not traction.

Thanks in advance.....

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I have not tried your options, but I run a Maxxis IT. It will outlast 3 of the stockers, and has the same traction.

If your throwing roost, you must be getting traction....I think...

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I haven't been happy with a 756 rear and a reported downside of S-12 is poor braking. I'm about to try it non the less.
Haven't had very good luck with Bridgestones in the woods either.

Custom KDX

Sep 23, 2004
IF you live around sand you have no choice but to go with S or M12 on the rear and the S12 match on the front. I fly off those dunes... and I really mean FLY.
Get these then go TEAR IT UP!!!

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I've been running a S12 in the front and a Kenda Millville in the rear. Seems to work really well in the loose clay we've got here on the coast.

-Maurice

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
I am running S-12's here where we have sand,mud, rock, and hard pack.
They work REALLY great. I love them and will buy more. What a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference from the POS dunlops that came on the bike stock.

Braking problems? Never noticed any.

For the M-12, a couple of my friends got them and liked the front, but were not happy with the M-12 rear, and were planning on S-12s next time.

Phil

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Braking for me is 90% front and 10% back.... The back never works that good... at least for me with ANY tire... :|

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
That's different. For my riding buddies and I we use the rear brake more than the front one. Hard to brake slide the single track with the front brake ;)

But since I switched to the S12's the brake slides not only get you around the corner, but now the rear tire REALLY stops you fast. Don't need to use the front brake nearly as much now that the rear is hooking up so good.

JMHO,

Phil

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I guess I shoulda said stopping power..... a brake slide is something entirely different. I have grown to appreciate the importance of a properly sprung front end due to frontend diving. I am much more careful on sloppy stuff and do not brake so heavy with the front. The key is... don't lock it up! :)

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I still like the S12 rear but the Dunlop 773 front is the best front I've ever had. Lasts longer than any other too. The 773 rear is good but wears real quick.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I've never had a problem with front wearing at all..... 3 rears to 1 front is my average. So.. Braahp, does it stick like glue? Is this why you like it?

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Yeah it sticks better than any I have tried. Works good in all types terrain too. Its just a bonus that it lasts longer also. You wouldn't think a soft tire would but they do for me.

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Nutz! So does this mean that I should tell my wife to use the new 756's - that she just gave me for an anniversary present - as hula-hoops??! :)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
farmerj said:
Nutz! So does this mean that I should tell my wife to use the new 756's - that she just gave me for an anniversary present - as hula-hoops??! :)

Carvr runs 756's front and rear!

At least he did before he dislocated his knee Sunday riding my bike :worship: :(

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I run an M-12 front. I've never tried an S-12, but the M-12 is the best front tire I've ever owned. How does it compare with the S-12 (for those who've tried both)?

I'm currently using a Maxxis 6001 in back. Traction seems good, but I don't see it lasting any better than anything else I've used.

So wibby, what'd you do....pull out your footpeg circlips?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Gee...at least everyone has the same opinion on the matter! ;)

But then when they guy that runs 756s all the time thinks the S12 doesn't stop anything for diddle, whadd'ya expect?

I'd think it was all in my head if a vet rider that tried it didn't think the exact same thing. 'Scarey!' he said (of the S12's braking effect).

What 'new fangled' dunlops you referring to?

Huh? Dunes and no paddle? :think:

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
S12 rear and an MS2 front seems to be the ticket around here. Works pretty much all conditions from sand to clay and mud

bereal

Aug 31, 2004
Tires

the last tires I put on the bike are Maxxis IT cross enduros. They hook up well and last long compared to the Dunlaps which I can't stand! They are the best bang for the buck for traction and durability.

Eric

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
canyncarvr said:
What 'new fangled' dunlops you referring to?

Huh? Dunes and no paddle? :think:

Well... the indy dealer around here was showing me the "new" Dunlops.... I forget the number designation he was referencing, but he said the were the answer to the S-12's and lasted longer.... I think he is FOS myself.... he is always trying to sell me SOMETHING! :laugh:

Top Bottom