New England riders: been to Sanford ME?

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Has anyone been to Sanford Maine yet? The guys and I are planning to ride there in the near future and I'd like to know if the river can be crossed. I'm a little nervous that it might be too high to get through.

I've you've been there this year, how are the "gravity cavities"? Washed out and gnarly I hope:p :p :p :p

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
NH hick,

It means "to the top". I only know this because I rode with z4me today and he told me;)

btw - I got your email,... look for a reply soon

Bob Heald

Mar 5, 2001
Nope... never ridden in Sanford. What kind of riding is available there? Sandpits or trails?

I don't know about Sanford, but in central maine, the rivers have gone down quite a bit in the past week and a half...

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Hi Bob,

Sanford has a huge sandpit and some pretty good trails. To get to the trails you need to cross the river. We went on 4/29 and the river was way too deep to cross. We took the way around through the woods and it was brutal! Real deep mud! Then there's a sketchey suspended bridge to cross and the river was deep and raging just 12" below!

The payoff is the Gravity Cavities! There's a series of 6 or 7 huge cavities on the power lines that make for some real fun hillclimbing. First, you must go down a long, steep hill and then the only way out is up the other side (long and steep) or back the way you came,... BIG fun :D There's several lines up each hill: sandy, hardpack, woods - all fun and I think I tried them all.

It's not a place I'd go every weekend but it's cool once in awhile. I won't go back until the river can be crossed. If you decide to try it out be sure to let me know how you liked it!

L8r

Bob Heald

Mar 5, 2001
Jay,
Sounds like a great place to go.. can you give me some directions on where you park?

Maybe when you decide to go again we could meet somewhere if you're interested.

Thanks!

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
:eek: That sounds dangerous........Me too me too, count me in. What did you say, "New England Spodefest????" Wahoo, lets get rockin people, when and where.

BTW is the New Hampshire trail tags still good in Maine????

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Mac,

I'll let you know when we're going back to Maine. It will be awhile, I want to wait until mud season is over,.... and Clough is opening soon:cool: ;) :p :D

Mad MAn Dave

May 12, 2001
sanford

Hello

Sanford is a great place to ride from. You can park at the store near the air port. It used to be Lucas, but has changed hands ask first, if they say no park in the industrial park. Corner of RT 9 And 109.
As far as the river goes. Going in go far left to mid point and cut right, there is a hole there. If you have big balls, on the right there is a fallen down tree with roots sticking up making a nice jump. I have never made it all the way across.
Also try Hollis not to far from sanford. Park on the HardScrable Rd. I belive it is off RT 35.

Dave

Bob Heald

Mar 5, 2001
When are you going? I can't go Saturday, but if you're going Sunday (or Monday) maybe I could get a couple people and meet you down there.. if you're interested let me know!

PSYCHO DAVE

May 19, 2001
Sanford

Whats up

I'm always looking for people to ride with.
I'm from the Portland area. I ride in sanford every so often.
If any one wants to do a ride let me know.
Not just in Sanford. I'm always looking for new places to ride.

Bob Heald

Mar 5, 2001
Hey Dave,
What do you like to ride? We usually ride in big sand pits with big hills (the bigger the better!) Anytime you feel like heading north a bit let me know (we have powerline trails and other stuff too). I still haven't been to Sanford but I would love to go sometime - especially if someone who's been there before would meet us. Unfortunately the next two weekends are no good for me, so I'll just be riding after work during the week.

PSYCHO DAVE

May 19, 2001
Sanford

Bob

I like to ride a mixed bag, pits, power lines, woods I like them all.
Is Clinton just above Augusta? I live about 1 hour form there, Cumberland area. We'll have to do a ride or 2. Let me know, my email is dblue@maine.rr.com

Dave

Top Bottom