new kdx200 owner. ? oil from tailpipe.

clarktG

Jul 19, 2004
Ok, I've owned for about 3 weeks. Bought it for my 14 year old boy. Ha! I ride more than he does. I mix oil 32 to 1. I see oil coming from tailpipe. Is this normal for a 2 cycle or do I maybe need rings??? Thanks tgc

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
See the jetting FAQ. Your bike is running to rich and requires a simple re-jet of the main and pilot circuits. Do not confuse this with your fuel/oil ratio...you are fine at 32:1

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
or, if you are not mechaincally inclined or in need of more power/better fuel consumtion and it doesn't foul plugs or run worse and worse, you could just leave it (still run the 32:1 though, I recommend) and clean up the oil with a rag....

Jetting your bike right is not an easy process, it takes patience and some knowledge (all found here in the search suggested), and, if done wrong, can cost a lot of money in other parts... If done right, it can lead to power gains and mileage gains, AND nearly eliminate that oil "spooge".... but if you're not into changing jets when the weather and altitude change, I recommend going a little rich (less spooge, but still get some here and there) to be on the safe side.

left running rich, you are less likely to harm anything (aside from the environment)....

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Fixing that will make the bike more powerful...I would gauge your son's ability against fixing the jetting and thus, spooge.

The bike is mechanically fine. When you need more power, its there to turn on.
However, if you both spend lots of time at WOT, at least open up the airbox lid, its restrictive inlets compound the fich factory jetting, in fact, the jetting is impossible to remedy without fixing the lid first.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I've been working on the jetting for my '03 (on and off) for a year now, and I'm still not there. I still get spooge out of the spark arrestor and I've adjusted the jetting, premix ratio, premix oil brand, and spark plug type.

The act of changing jets is actually quite easy; I'm not mechanically inclined at all and I have done it MANY times. I remember a response from JasonWho on this subject, do a search on jetting and you will find it. (I started that thread, so that may help you in the search process.) His post on what to do to change the pilot and main jets was very helpful to me.

FWIW, there are probably more jetting posts on this forum than anything else, so the search function will tell you a tremendous amount of information. Whatever you do, PLEASE don't ask "What jetting should I use?", because you will open up a huge can of worms... :eek:

clarktG

Jul 19, 2004
Thanks guys. I guess I'll live with it for awile. At least till I get more knowledge from this site. One thing, My old shirt gets tiny spots on ithe back of it. Do I need to slow down???

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
clarktG said:
Thanks guys. I guess I'll live with it for awile. At least till I get more knowledge from this site. One thing, My old shirt gets tiny spots on ithe back of it. Do I need to slow down???
Oil on the shirt?? Man---the only time I had that happen was when using cheap oil on the chain---it'd sling everywhere! :laugh: Don't be afraid of jetting.
Once you get going, it's quite intuitive. Of course, taking your carb apart 10 times in a weekend can be a bit much---I try to listen to football on the radio and keep plenty of cold beverages handy---makes it much more enjoyable!

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
JasonWho, good job on yet another outstanding and helpful post.

ClarktG, really, DON'T be afraid of jetting. Believe me, it isn't bad. I'm a stereotypical engineer (read=geek) with NO mechanical ability, and after reading the info on this site and on Canadian Dave's JustKDX site, I took the plunge. After a few hundred ( ;) ) carb disassemblies, I was able to change my main jet, pilot jet, and needle clip position tonight in just a few minutes, all while two of my kids kept asking "Aren't you done yet?" :)

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
well, your initial post did not indicate that you were getting so much spooge that it was getting on your shirt..... that sounds pretty bad... jetting is not hard, just a bit tedious... if it's off that much you should do something about it (the airbox mod is the first place to start... 10 minutes and *poof* your bike is running better)

clarktG

Jul 19, 2004
OK, cicone, I did put some 85w90 oil on my chain the other day. lightly and wiped the excess. DUUUUH, looks like I got a lot to learn off you guys!!! I need to eliminate that, so whats a good chain lube? thanks again. tgc

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
clarktG said:
OK, cicone, I did put some 85w90 oil on my chain the other day. lightly and wiped the excess. DUUUUH, looks like I got a lot to learn off you guys!!! I need to eliminate that, so whats a good chain lube? thanks again. tgc
No Kidding??! Here's a standard chain maint.---mine anyway.
Buy a little plastic scrub brush($2), a gallon of kerosene($4), WD40 and a can of PJ1 chain lube(I use the blue can for my o-ring chain). Pour some kerosene in a small pan and scrub all the dirt and muck from the chain AND sprockets. After that I usually hit it with Simple Green and then hose it off. Next apply WD40 and take a spin around the neighbohood to spin off all the excess water and WD40. Wipe the chain off and apply the PJ1. Your chain will look and perform like brand new!! :yeehaw: --assuming that it's not stretched too much, but that's another issue.

Top Bottom