jim7411

Nov 24, 2003
Hello everybody. This is my first post here.

My 10 year old son, (soon to be 11) has been riding since he was 5. First a JR50 then a TTR90. We just sold the 90 and I just bought him a 2004 KX65. He is going to try racing a little bit at our club track.
My question is what do I need to do to this bike or is there any advise that you can give me about this bike. He is quite small for his age and he only weighs 60 lbs. I just bought lighter springs for it and I bought some Renthal bars.
Our club track is all sand and we also do some riding out at my dads property which is mostly hard pack.
How are the stock tires?
What about jetting? We are at 670 asl and in the summer is is very humid here is northern Indiana. (Lowell, IN)
What modifications if any should I do to the bike?
He needs to get use to using a clutch and the power of the bike so I'm not really trying to make it super competative because he will not be for a while.
We pick the bike up Saturday and will go to the track Sunday for a little test session around the flat start area of the track.
Any advise that you all have about these bikes or 2 strokes in general would be much appreciated. We have had all four strokes, except the JR50 up till now. I have a 2002 YZ250F.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing your advise.

Jim

Mar 28, 2004
grease the linkage, swingarm bearings,and the headset...ours was bone dry (Brand new RM65) loosen the front brake lever, and clutch perch so they move instead of brake off when he falls in the sand...as for all the technical crap like: sag, gearing, blaaa, blaaa etc...etc... forget about it. maybe adjust the jetting to clean it up, cause if he is not ringing it out around the track it will load up and start to blow smoke, and oozz out the silencer...enjoy

Top Bottom