lawsonstar

Mar 18, 2007
My son has a 97 KX65 we bought at the end of the year last year. Everytime he rode it, the clutch had to be refilled with fluid and would be empty after about an hour. it isn't leaking out and doesn't seem to be burning it. Anyone have any ideas why? For what it's worth, the guy we bought it from restored it and we have found almost everything needing to be tightened.

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
could be leaking into the raidiator or the crank. If you change the tranny fluid and it's gray then it is leaking into the raidiator and the antifreeze is also leaking into the tranny fluid. This is caused by the impeller seal. Or it could be a crank seal and the way to tell that is to have it pressure tested.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Blackcat said:
If you change the tranny fluid and it's gray then it is leaking into the raidiator and the antifreeze is also leaking into the tranny fluid.
The tranny fluid is NOT always grey because radiator coolant is leaking into it, Normal aluminum clutch wear is the factor and you can't judge it leaking by a grey color... :cool:

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
what do you mean he restored it? what did he do to it???? people say they rebuild things and their idea if rebuilt is they took it apart and cleaned it. id say your either burning it thru crank seals or your gaskets are really old. check your spark plug and see how it looks.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
I have NEVER seen tranny fluid leak into the radiator! The radiator is under pressure and the tranny case isn't, it is vented. Therefore antifreeze can get into the tranny via a bad water pump impeller seal, but not the other way around.
My best guess is that the right hand crank seal is shot and the engine IS burning the trans oil, fairly common problem. IMO

lawsonstar

Mar 18, 2007
the "restore" job is a little like you said, but the front end is rebuilt, new tires, new plastic, chain, sprokets, paint, etc. He said he and a buddy went through and fixed everything the motor needed, but I don't know if he opened the crankcase. He was very young and his opinion of rebuilt was cosmetic. The thing runs like a scalded dog and starts right up. It does smoke a little, but the first tank of gas I put into it was mixed too rich. The plug looks pretty clean.

Top Bottom