Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Just a quick "howdy" from a new member. I'm a veteran from Quebec (bonjour!), and stumbled on the site after checking out engine mods on Eric Gorr's site. Been riding since I was 11, and now I'm...not 11. Current scoot: '01 YZ 125 that may soon get a 144cc Gorr kit. I enjoy golden sunsets, long walks in the park, and goat grooming.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
LOL Detonator - welcome to DRN.

Isn't Quebec somewhere in France? :flame:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Welcome to DRN. There are lots of members from the 51st state.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Welcome to DRN Detonator. Check out the CR / KX / RM / YZ (2-Stroke) Discussion board. Do a search, there have been many discussions about EG's 144 cc kits.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to see that Quebec stirs up so much jealousy. It just confirms that this is the best place to live in the world. What's more alarming is that everyone completely bypassed my "goat-grooming" comment and focused on the Province! Kind of a telling circumstance...

Actually, I'm a big fan of you USA'ers, so there's no friction here. Sawblade, I have done some searches, but what I'm really interested in are Vets who choose to ride 125's. I'm a lightweight (130 lbs), so many of the typical 125 complaints (no low-end) are less applicable to me. I can't seem to locate 125-riding Vets in the search...any tips?

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
That new zealander up there was kidding with you. We have a lot of great members from Canada. A few up them come down to the states for our big Reno Valentines day ride which is almost upon us.

Check out the Reno ride: HERE

Last edited:

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Sheep are fine in a pinch, but goats groom the best. I am so sorry I started this...

MrLuckey, I have a buddy headed to Las Vegas in a month, and he's managed to hook up with some tour operator that'll supply a KTM 520 and assorted gear for a 50 to 150 mile desert ride. We don't have a great deal of desert in Quebec (cough), so I'm really jealous.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Detonator,
Jeff Gilbert is the resident 125 Vet rider here at DRN. Jeff's down in Texas where everyone is from someplace else. :joke: If Jeff doesn't join in on your welcome thread you may try and pm him. Goat grooming was recently outlawed here in the state of Arkansas, so I better not say any more then that! :ohmy:

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
"Goat grooming was recently outlawed here in the state of Arkansas, so I better not say any more then that!"

I'm pretty sure it's illegal here in Quebec, too, but sometimes we do things first and ask permission later. Like buying new dirtbikes and having our wives say, "I thought your bike was red, not blue. Hmmm..."

My wife actually notices details like fresh knobbies and new grips. She uses my purchases as emotional leverage toward her jewelry account. "If you can afford to spend $500 on new suspension, I guess I'm going to get a HUGE diamond ring on our anniversary." My usual answer is something about how dirtbikers fear rocks, and I turn the power washer on to avoid further grilling.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Welcome aboard. We know all about goats and sheep here in Iowa.

Good plan on usuing the power washer to drown out any further emotional abuse from the wife.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
power washer

Rooster said:
Welcome aboard. We know all about goats and sheep here in Iowa.

Good plan on usuing the power washer to drown out any further emotional abuse from the wife.

It's only fair; she uses the hairdryer when I try to explain how a big-bore job and a new silencer could potentially change our lives for the better. Love is a slippery slope, my friend...

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Detonator said:
It's only fair; she uses the hairdryer when I try to explain how a big-bore job and a new silencer could potentially change our lives for the better. Love is a slippery slope, my friend...

That it is Detonator. Where abouts in Quebec are you located?

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Just north of Montreal. Originally from the Quebec side of the Ottawa Valley, just to the west of Ottawa. Agricultural area, which is beneficial to those who pursue grooming activities. How about yourself...where do you hail from?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Smack dab in the middle of Iowa, Ames, home of the Iowa State University Sucklones!!

Also very good for grooming.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
My usual answer is something about how dirtbikers fear rocks, and I turn the power washer on to avoid further grilling.[/QUOTE]

LOL! :thumb: I'll have to remember that one for sure!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Detonator:
Welcome to our little slice of the web.
I spent a few days driving over the top of the lakes. Beautiful country!

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Tony Eeds said:
Detonator:
Welcome to our little slice of the web.
I spent a few days driving over the top of the lakes. Beautiful country!

Thank you for your kind words. I've not had the pleasure of visiting Dallas, but I have heard only good things. Steak, Republicans, and Cheerleaders...can't beat that.

I was once allegedly in a tour bus that snaked along the Texas Panhandle, but those were my college days, and I only recall coming to consciousness in a fishing boat off Panama City Beach. I provided bait and photo opportunities, and we caught many Triggerfish. My next recollection was inventing sordid words at a karoke night and having to be whisked away by our concerned tour guide. I have matured since. The minivan was a sobering experience.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
You forgot big hair women, we have them too!! :aj:

I had the silly idea of driving to James Bay. I had a 4x4, but without any apparent roads, it appeared foolish.

Now I am thinking of a canoe trip to Moosonee and a train ride back. Then there is the dual sport trip to the Arctic Circle and the float down the Nahanni River from Virginia Falls ...

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Tony Eeds said:
You forgot big hair women, we have them too!! :aj:

I had the silly idea of driving to James Bay. I had a 4x4, but without any apparent roads, it appeared foolish.

Now I am thinking of a canoe trip to Moosonee and a train ride back. Then there is the dual sport trip to the Arctic Circle and the float down the Nahanni River from Virginia Falls ...

James Bay is, apparently, do-able. I used to teach in Rouyn-Noranda, and knew a couple of folks who did it. Preferably, go in summer-time and get a map showing Hydro routes (they're our electrical supply company). Go to Matagami, and head north on hwy 109 for about 4 hours. Bring your fishin' pole.

I can put you in contact with a couple of leather-heads who did the Nahanni run about 10 years ago. As I recall, it took a solid 6 months of planning to pull off. You're a good deal more adventurous than I. I occasionally push the minivan over the speed limit, or eat spicy Doritos, but generally I'm pretty content to watch guys like you show up on Maury to tell how they got trapped in an avalanche for 3 days and used their own urine to stay warm. Not that I haven't done that, but it's completely voluntary, and I didn't have to dig my way out after.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Yup, he's gonna fit in here just fine. :thumb: So maybe we can get him to Dirtweek, he can share a tent with Camstyn, the other Canadian.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
GETMETOCA said:
Yup, he's gonna fit in here just fine. :thumb: So maybe we can get him to Dirtweek, he can share a tent with Camstyn, the other Canadian.

GETMETOCA,

I just did a quick calculation; Stillwater, OK, is 2,571 kilometres from here (1,579 miles). My mapping program estimates 3 days, 1hr, 9 minutes.

If I "swung by" to pick up Camstyn in Agassiz, B.C., the trip would only be 8,306 kilometres (5,161 miles). Approximately a 10 day trip, one way.

I have a better idea: why don't you have Dirtweek here in Quebec? Think of the character-building windshield time you'd profit from, the opportunity to sample delicacies and viands from exotic drive-thru's, your generally awesome physical and mental condition upon arrival, and a chance to put your mastery of the French language to use?

And I wouldn't be concerned about the wildlife descending upon the campsite, lured by the smell of unwashed, road-food bloated, comatose American visitors. I mean, how many people could the bears, wolves, and wild dogs eat before someone shoo'd them away? Overall, there are many more advantages than disadvantages in moving Dirtweek to Quebec. Heck, I'll even bake cookies for everyone!

Any takers?

Will :clue:

Top Bottom