New product for PDS..Could this be the answer?

Keg

Dec 17, 2003
OCCR,

Yeah the specs on the spring are right.

Makes little difference to those ever reliable KTM stands. Yamaha have gone to alloy stands down in OZ, is it the same up there?? It is lucky there are lots of trees to park my bike on down here!

Yeah, I can't explain the bottoming thing very well. It just feels like the top and mid valving work better so in turn you get to the bottom less?? I know the mid (compression) valve is altered during this mod, so that has something to do with it.

I think it would be interesting to try Terry's valving including the mid valve mod without the reactive, just to see the fork action.

I am running the specified 7.5wt 150mm(6 inches) from the top fork oil, so it is less than standard. I know it would normally have less bottoming resistance, but it doesn't feel like it.

OCCRA_Racer

Oct 29, 2002
I'm sure the new valving is a big player too, especially with a low oil height like 150mm. I think it's called synergy. :clue: What ever it is it seems to be working. I think Race Tech will be selling a few sets over here.

How is the shock performing? Any new findings? Still digging the action?

Keg

Dec 17, 2003
I have been giving my bike to a few mates to ride. After riding theirs you realy notice the difference of how smooth a ride the rear is.

I am up at Terry's test track on Monday (he lives in Sydney, about 8 hours from me in Melbourne) for some more fine tuning.

Terry has recently made some changes to the needle setup which Rocket tested the other day. Sounds good so far.

The only real negative that I found (with the reactive front end)is having all that preload does make the bike feel a little ridgid in the very very slow corners with loose gravel and rocks. But then I remember to put some weight on the bars and get on the gas and all things are fine.

The rear is still smooth and supple and out handles all the other KTM's (about 8 of them) I have ridden recently.

BushPig

Mar 11, 2004
OCCRA_Racer said:
KEG

There was a nice write up in the latest DirtRider about the Re-Active fork mods. They seem to like the set-up too, especially off-road.

I've had the reactive front end in my Katoom for a little while now and LOVE it!!!
No way on earth would I go back to any of the derivations of modified '04 / '04 valving that I have tried.
This is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.
Review here:

Look forward to trying out the needle that Keg's been running & have lined one for installation soon.
Excited? Hell yeah!! :yeehaw:

Bushy

Last edited by a moderator:

Keg

Dec 17, 2003
On Monday I went out to Terry Hay's workshop. Terry has a most impressive setup on 110 acres. It included a large MotoX track, a SuperX track, an Enduro (wood) loop, a Grass track and a series of tracks zig-zaging through a dry creek bed, which he calls the postie bike track. Man he is brave if he rides one of those up the 10 foot high straight gully faces!

He checked over my setup seeing as he did my shock and forks by mail originally. I felt my bike was just a little plush for open riding, especially 4th gear errosion bank jumps.

He did some fine tuning on the forks, with respect to oil height and flow around the shim stack. Also a valving change to the rear shock. I am still running the original prototype needle also. Terry took the time to explain everything and even pulled down another customers fork to show me what he did as I asked more and more questions. Then I would test the change on one or more of his tracks and give him feedback. The end result was traction in and out of corners was improved as well as the bike absorbes the big hits better.

Looking at an open shock and the standard KTM needles of the past few years on his bench it really started to make sense what direction Terry is taking the development in. I will follow the development closely as the new needle is tested and evolves.

OzRocket

Jan 13, 2004
I have 400 odd miles on Terrys 1st needle,and love the ride!!
I agree with Keg,after riding 10 or so other RFS's,my rear end seems much smoother.
Went back to have the needle inspected last week,all was found to be working perfectly!Terry then installed a different tapered needle for me to test.
My initial thoughts are that this needle creates a smoother ride again!All the rear end harshness of the PDS system is gone......It actually feels very "progressive" out back!
I was to have the Re-Active fitted as well to test,but decided to wait a couple of weeks,as Terry has sourced better springs for this set-up.
Terry then made small changes to fork shim stacks,altering ride height(with clearance shims) to individully set it to my ride preference.
This bike is now a pleasure to ride,just handles everything in its stride!

cheers Rod

OCCRA_Racer

Oct 29, 2002
Keg, OZ Rocket

It sounds like things are progressing quite nicely. Good things are getting better. Have you compared your new improved ride to any Jap bikes for comparison's sake? I'm curious how they stack up. I keep hearing how good the Hondas are and wondered if you are there yet? That may be a tall order, but who knows what is possible?

Keep us informed

Top Bottom