New Rider, New Bike, and a few Newb questions...

99genx

Jul 28, 2008
Ok, well I'm not completely a "new" rider and this bike most definitely isn't "new" (although new to me) but regardless, you get the point.

Several years back I rode off and on with a few buddies and have had some minor experience with street bikes as well. Looking into dirt, I found someone interested in trading this RM for a street bike I had -

This is what I was told about the bike -

'93 Suzuki RM250
- Full FMF Gold Fatty Series Exhaust
- Aftermarket Keihin Carburetor
- Boyesen Reeds
- Showa Shock Absorbers
- Power Valve
- Front and Rear Suspension Work
- Gripper Ceet (small tear)
- New Sprockets
- New Clutch
- Dunlop Tires (recent)
- etc.

Head has recently been reworked and was re-sleeved (cast iron) so if any additional work needs to be done it can be bored out as opposed to replaced. Takes a couple of good hard kicks to get started (the compression is insane) but starts on first kick once it's warmed up.

Does that sound about right based on the pictures below?

i36[dot]tinypic[dot]com/vxyd00[dot]jpg

i35[dot]tinypic[dot]com/w1l08[dot]jpg

i37[dot]tinypic[dot]com/ou16ci[dot]jpg

i36[dot]tinypic[dot]com/1z71lhd[dot]jpg

i38[dot]tinypic[dot]com/mbml3k[dot]jpg

The previous owner also mentioned that the engine and-or piston had some work done to it; the companies initials milled into the side of the casing that I will check out tomorrow for further clarification (three letters).

I'll be quite honest with you all, I'm not at all use to (or comfortable with) a bike with enough kick-back to put a hole in the bottom of my shoe, but I'm going to hit the trails (or more like the straights until I am comfortable with the bike) and see where it takes me. Previous owner is running a 3.25oz-gallon ratio; that sound about right?

I am sure, being the cold blooded bike that it is, plug fouling will happen initially. Is this something that can be remedied by simply removing and wiping off the plug (mind you, I'll have extra plugs with me, but still)? What else in general should I take note of before going out to ride (other than the obvious safety precautions)? Is there any simple fix to fouling the plugs (or will I have to do a full re-jetting)?

All in all, the RM looks to be a nice bike, but I am sure that after a couple of inevitable falls (gotta break that back tire loose sometime eh?) and the realization that fouling plugs just isn't time-friendly for someone trying to get back into the swing of things, I'll trade her for a nice 4-stroke.

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Oil mix: 3.25 to one gallon (128 oz) is a mixture of 40:1. That is a fairly common mix ratio but is on the lighter side. Be sure to use a good quality oil.

As for the kick: If you don't like the kick on a two stroke then you may not enjoy a four stroke at all! MX bikes generally have high performance engines, which means high compression, which means harder to kick over. an "off road" model will have much lower compression and are easier to kick, but then they don't develop the power. A decent pair of boots will make the kick easier. I have bruised the arch of my foot trying to start my bike wearing tennis shoes....

As for the sleeve and engine work: Pretty much standard on a bike that old. The high performance engines are really hard on their piston/rings and they need to be replaced on a fairly regular basis. Ignore them just a little too long and they seize and then the cylinder needs to be bored. Do that a couple of times and you run out of boring room and then it needs to be sleeved, in which case you start over.

It is possible, however, that in addition to standard work the head was modified or a higher compression piston was installed. If the compression has been raised above normal levels then you will need to run special race gas, which can be expensive. If you actually want to race this is great, but if you just want to mess around then you don't want to have to deal with buying special 104 octane racing fuel. If it needs 100+ octane and you run 91 octane pump gas (or worse) you will destroy the enigne in short order.

Rod

Top Bottom