New to forum and thumpers, questions inside

JeremyML

Mar 13, 2002
Hi folks, just saying hi and asking a few newbie questions. :confused:

Following my own typical patterns, I've gotten myself over my head again. I'm sure it will be great fun if I survive the learning curve, but hey that's half the fun in itself!

As of tommorow morning I will be the owner of a 2000 YZ426-F. Considering I haven't ridden a 2 wheeler in about 14 years or so, I might as well be coming into it brand new. The only advantage I have is the (still limited) experience I have with the quad (660R Raptor) so at least I'm no stranger to clutching and shifting Yamaha 5 speeds.

I'm 6' 235 lbs, do mostly trail riding, but the occasional MX on open track night, and some flat tracking. Keeping that in mind...

My questions are...
1. The plug fouling problem I see mentioned a lot, does that only apply to 2001 and newer bikes? I seem to recall seeing that said somewhere but can't find it now.

2. If I follow the starting instructions (fuel on, choke on, push kick to compression, pull decompression lever and hold, push starter down 1-2 inches, release lever, let starter come back to top, kick it like I mean it) will I have too hard of a time? I intend to follow the directions like my life depended on it, just thought I'd ask. And I see kick mentioned as well, how bad will it be on this bike?

3. How do these bikes, generally speaking, handle low throttle low rpm "cruising"? I have family that used to race bikes for many years and they seem convinced that such activities on this bike would result in lots of fouled plugs. I'm of the opinion (with no basis lol) that the modernization, electronics and such help prevent it on these newer bikes. What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance for any answers, I can hardly wait to get this thing out to my regular riding area and cruise it around to start learning all over again. The only reason I got this particular bike is it was at an unbelievable low price, and I have friends who have offered to buy it from me should I decide I can't handle it yet. I think that highly unlikely (my giving up, not my ability to handle it hehehe).

BTW I now have...

2002 Yamaha 660R Raptor, gyt-r heel plates & swing arm plate
2000 Yamaha YZ426-F <~ the new baby!

Big CR man

May 17, 2001
Welcome

I own a 2001 YZ426F that I just purchased new from the crate on Feb. 2nd of 2002. I have had a tough time fouling plugs with mine . But as they say every bike is different. I would just do the drill when starting . unless you have problems I wouldnt worry . If you do We are here for ya . I dont think that low Rpms will hurt the bike . Just make sure to have your idle set high enough to where it wont stall. Mine was turned down to low when I first got it and I stalled it and fouled plugs. Once you get the feel for the bike you will realize how fun it is to twist the throttle . This bike is a wheelie monster. but in a controlled way . this bike is a blast to ride once you get past the starting of it. Just takes a bit to get used to. You wont want to ride another bike after you have ridden this one . In my own opinion , this is the best bike to have for your size . and its just so damn fun Whohoooo !!!!!11:) By the way if you do trail ride I might recommend the Cycra probend alluminum hand guards they come complete with the plastic roost shields in many colors. and I have a Moose bolt on side stand that I got From Dennis Kirk . It is awsome for Trail riding . My buddy doesnt have one and he has a 2000 YZ426F and he stopped to take a leak and propped his bike wrong and down it came , dented the crap out of his radiator. I also would get a set of pro taper bars . They come in various bends . I went with the universal mounting kit, instead of changing the triple clamps. These bars are the best In my own opinion . If you live where it freezes like I do you should try studding the tires and riding the bike on the river . This bike is awsome on Ice . you can ride wheelies forever. anyway This is all just my opinion Just some food for thought. Take care and have a blast ( I know you will ) . Anytime you need to ask a question this is the place . Do a search on any topic you have on your mind. there are alot of super people here to help anyway they can .

dirtdad

Mar 3, 2001
Jeremy, I too have a 2000 YZ426 and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
As far as info on the YZF goes, a better site IMO is THUMPERTALK.COM.
Check it out and see. The site is in the middle of an upgrade right now but will be back soon. As for your questions:
1. The 2000 426 DID NOT have a plug fouling problem. I believe it was only a percentage of the 2001 models and was linked to the ignition!?
2. As far as starting goes you shouldn't have any problems if you follow the drill. My bike starts with 1-2 kicks every time. One thing that may help is doing something called the BK mod to the acc pump. It's very simple and you can go to http://mx393.tripod.com/carb.html for pretty detailed instructions with pics. The mod costs under $5 too and is easily reversible.
3. I ride woods with my 13 y/o son on his ttr125L and have never had a plug fouling problem. The YZF is geared pretty tall for this and sometimes requires deft use of the clutch, but you shouldn't have a problem. One thing that may help is adding a fly-wheel weight. I don't have one on mine but many who use the YZF for hare scrambles or tight woods have gone that route.
Hope this info helps and enjoy the new ride!

Last edited:

Top Bottom