wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Performed what I thought was a good top end on my son's '84 Suzuki DS 80 - yes first one(top end) - the job went "by the book".
Long story short: Kicked it over and it ran for 10 min., and I shut bike off to let it cool down. I haven't got it to even sputter since.
Added pieces to the starting debacle:
1. Switched over from oil injection to premix 32:1 - eliminated oil line into carb and disabled pump.
2. Tried new plug - same as old - b7es - (after the 10 min run).
3. tried starting fluid
4. plug is getting spark
5. flooding is evident - fluid/fuel/starting fluid is escaping at exaust manifold where bolt semi-stripped.
6. plug is dry???
7. Cleaned carb p-jet and bowl +(yes I read eric gorrs starting tips)
I have a 10 yr. old w/ new Christmas helmet, shirt, gloves, etc. -ready to ride - please help him and his dumb-ass father. Thanks

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
You say you're getting spark on a "dry" plug, yet you think it's flooding? If you are indeed getting spark and the plug is dry, try dumping a teaspoon of your premix into the spark plug hole, screwing the plug back in and giving it a few kicks. If it tries to run (burning off the introduced fuel), but then stalls and refuses to run again then you know you've got a fuel delivery problem and we can work from there!

Big thing is to ensure you are indeed STILL getting spark on the plug. Also, does it feel like you've at least got the same compression as the engine had prior to the rebuild? (Just to ensure that you've got compression within the engine--we'll worry about a solid number later if necessary)

I did notice that you've tried starting fluid. If the plug is dry though, you should get the engine to at least "stumble" with some type of fuel in the chamber. Another idea, if you've DEFINITELY got spark and the plug is wet when you pull it out of the head, you may try "bump" starting it. Those '80s should bump start pretty easy.

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
So what's the news? Is there a happy boy riding around on a bike with a new top end?

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
double check and make sure peacock is on and there is fuel in the tank.

wasnt a dz80 a four stroke bike? why did you disable the oil to carb and use premix?

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Nevada, The DS 80 is a two stroke with oil injection. He removed/disabled the oil injection system to use good old premix.

I've done this once, ok twice! :eek: Make sure you didn't leave a shop rag in the air boot. Both times I did this the bike ran for a few minutes, then the bike dead and wouldn't start. Both times the plug was very wet and fouled.

Top Bottom