250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
OK you Guru's of the Singletrack & Mud. :eek: I ride an old 1990 KDX with FMF pipe, silencer combo, airbox mod, Renthals, Stock carb 152/48 CEL. Runs Decent with no major problems. In fact it's been stone reliable. My Question is the New 200/220 That much of an improvement to make worth the extra $2000. I ride with New KDX's all the time & old Reliable goes everywhere just as fast. Drawback is nice new wiz-bang goodies are hard to find or non-existant. I guess I'm trying to justify the expense. Thanks for your input. :yeehaw:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
:moon: call me old fashioned, butt i'd rather work on my '90 than own a new one. of course that explains my '66 fairlane and '91 crown vic---i buy my wife the new cars! :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I don't really think so, the only way i'd upgrade from my 89 KDX 200 is to goto a new 220. I'd only do that if I could swap straight across, its just not big enough of a difference to throw down the cash. Most everything that you can get for the newer model KDX's can be located for the older KDX's as well. It just sometimes takes a little bit of searching and customization to make it work.

-Maurice

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Despite the perimeter frame, some are of the opinion (me included) that the E-model handles a little better than the H-model. Truthfully, I would keep and invest in the e-model, especially if it’s in good shape and you like it…that’s what I did.

I think that someday (soon) I will buy a new woods weapon (KTM, KDX-F, CRF-X), but I will keep my trusty old KDX. They are very nice bikes. Besides, I have too much damn money invested in the old girl!!!

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I agree, stick with the old. I have had my 88 kDX since new. I wish it was water cooled but other than that I wouldnt spend the extra cash for a new model. I just finished a total rebuild on the bike and it runs better than it did when I got it. The pipe, suspension upgrades made it a different and better machine. I rode with my brother in law last weekend. He just bought a 2003 KX 125. He liked my KDX better than his new KX :yeehaw: All my parts were easy to find and for the most part inexpensive.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
For you guys looking for reasons to hang on to your old favorite E-model, I would highly recommend two things: Race Tech cartridge fork emulators and a steering damper (doesn't matter which one - just get one!). Best mods I ever did to my '90.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
rv6junkie said:
I think that someday (soon) I will buy a new woods weapon (KTM, KDX-F, CRF-X), but I will keep my trusty old KDX. They are very nice bikes. Besides, I have too much damn money invested in the old girl!!!

I too have been thinking about a new woods bike, but the old KDX stays no matter what. Gotta have something for the wife to ride :laugh:

-Maurice

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
Thanks for the Replys Guys :yeehaw: Looks like I'll be keeping her a little longer. I'm gonna do the Fork spring swap very soon. I currently have almost enough spare parts to build another bike. For a singletrack weapon there hard to beat. Just wish it had a little more power in the sandwashs.

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
I'd like to Tim. Just can't afford another ride in the garage. :thumb: Between the XR70, KDX & 250R I'm always strapped. I just installed my Acerbis Pro guards, Sweet! It's getting there, slowly. This weekend I'm gonna play with the low speed jetting, 45 instead of 48. Lets go! :eek:

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
If I can find a "Like New" 220 for a decent price it would be worth looking into. Currently there's only one used 2000 year model KDX 200 advertised in AZ. $2200 bones. Considering my 90 KDX is only worth Aprox. $1100 to $1300 locally thats still a minimum of $1000 to up the anty to a newer ride. Talking a new 04 220 add at least $3000 after selling mine. If I could find a "Used" 01 to 03 220 in AZ for around $2200 to $2500 I'd beg, borrow, even sell the 250R but there just aren't that many used KDX's in AZ. Tim could alway's sell me his though!

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
True points indeed. I fit more into the "Want To" catagory. :) Old Reliable runs very well for it's year. I'm just getting the suspension dialed for my riding style (or lack of) But it's always nice to have a newer ride. One of my good riding buddies is selling his old RM250 & getting a KTM so I'm feeling a little bit of the Keep up with the Jone's effect. I'll keep looking for a newer 220 to upgrade to but continue to ride the Mini Booger for awhile longer.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
JasonWho said:
When you buy a used bike, don't forget to consider possible immediate additional expenses that depend on its condition.

True Jason.

I have never bought a used bike that I didn't have to put $200 or more dollars into. If fact, my last "clean" used purchase, ended up costing me over $700 (including $400 of known upgrades) from all of the stuff I had to buy to make it right.

Top Bottom