NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Well, sorta of.....if you have a good memory, you'll remember that "Save Me From the Pumpkin" thread where I wanted some good reason why not to sell my KDX and get a KTM200. Reliability and $$$ ended up being my main reasons, but after apologizing to the Green Machine, I thought "Ya know, I was willing to spend $2000 more on a pumpkin...why not spend $200 on a new pipe?". I have an FMF Woods on the bike and I actually live more in desert area so...3 weeks later (Fed Ex Ground is SLOOOOWWWWWW) a shiny new FMF Desert Gnarly showed up. No problems fitting, but I have already modified the mounting tabs on my bike (drill another hole outboard of the existing one to give some manuevering room). I cranked the trusty KDX up and went for a ride.

WOW!!! I'll start there. Someone on this board once said that the desert pipe made the KDX feel like "a 125 with bottom end". I will second that. It revs so much faster and easier...I really was impressed. I ride down 3 miles of dirt road to get to my little track and the difference was very apparent. With the Torque pipe (K-35), the bike is happiest crusing just under 1/2 throttle. At 1/2 throttle, it feels like it's working hard. With the Desert Gnarly, it cruised at 1/2 throttle easily and readily revved further. At the track, I could tell a big difference in "hit"- there basically is none with the Woods and there is quite a bit with the Desert. I was pulling wheelies in 3rd and there are some turns where I just wick it wide-open with the Woods pipe- when I tried that with the Desert, it about dumped me on my butt.

Big difference going up jump faces, too- get it just below the powerband and then accelerate up the face and sail. The Woods pipe doesn't do that- it just builds revs w/out the kick. I had a pretty good mud-hole today, thanks to recent rains, and that's where I found the down-side of the new pipe. Wheelspin! Get in that mud hole and...yeah, it's just like a 125! With the Woods pipe I can't hardly MAKE it wheelspin. After about 1/2 hour I started feeling the increased pull in my arms.

Anyway, I am really pleased with the new pipe. It revs much faster, feels more "2-stroke" and is just a good thing to have around for riding areas with traction/speed. And the great thing about it is that if I want to go woods riding, in 10 minutes I can have the torque pipe back on.

I also got some of 661's "Richochet" knees pad/braces. Not bad! I've been using Moose pads, but I'm getting old and these 661's have a little more protection. I like 'em.

But one of the best parts of the day was when I approached my table-top jump and a flash of metal caught my eye- the kickstarter that I'd lost last OCTOBER!!! YES!!! I've probably put in 100 laps on my track and suddenly there's my lost kickstarter. I've already got a new one, but I can ABCD-bay this one when/if I ever sell my KDX and _some_ of my money back. Or, I'll have a spare now.

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
If you want the best of both worlds... send your carb to rbdesigns.com and have Ron work his magic with the divider plate and knurled air scew.... then find the second sweet spot about 2 1/2 out.... it's amazing...instant 4 stroker with no wheel spin!

Top Bottom