mykski2

Feb 26, 2006
This past winter, my son and I set up his KX250 with all the requirement to get his bike plated. We contacted the police dept. and they came out to do the inspection. I explained to the officer what I was doing and showed him the paperwork that he had to fill out so I can take it to the S.O.S. to get the plate. He was very helpful and understood what this process was all about. Well, my son went to the S.O.S. with the insurance and the paperwork all signed and verified. The woman at the desk told him that it was not enough. He needed to have all the receipts to the work that had been done. When my son showed her again the inspection report the the officer had filled out she didn't get the picture. She then pulled out a big book with all the laws and explained to my son that she needed verification that the work on the paper had been done. At this point my son asked for a piece of paper and a pen. He then wrote down "I put on a headlight, taillight, horn, DOT tires, etc." Then signed it. She looked at the paper that he had just filled out, nodded her little head, and handed him his plate with the new registration and title. I guess the County Sheriff's word just wasn't good enough. What am I missing here???????????? :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Indeed,, I have licensed MANY MXers over the years, have also done several salvaged cars. My last car was from California,, long story that you dont have time for but let me say this,, the bottom line is the bottom line... MONEY!!!!
So,, here is how it works.. Lets say you have added a light.. YOu just told the lady you added it, you cant produce the reciept for said light, they get to charge you sales tax on the spot - if they want!!! YOu guys got off lucky!! Of course, you still could have left that office and gone to another with the following lanquage BUT most folks dont bother..
The secret lanquage when dealing with the SOS is:
Me to them - I have a bike that has never been registered. Here is the completed green form. I need a Title, Plates and registration.. Oh yea, here is the insurance form too
NEVER pridefully brag to them about what you did and how you did it - save that for bench racing!!! The MTR/DRN folks - myself included - LOVE THIS STUFF - the SOS could care less unless your wanting to give them more $$$$$$$$.. Get it??
ats dah way it tis...
Woodsy

mykski2

Feb 26, 2006
The bike was already titled in my sons name,so we couldn't get away with "this is a new registration". He never had to show receipts for the work, just verify that the work had been done. I thought thats what the inspection sheet was for. When I did my XR600, it was no problemo! Showed them the inspection sheet and insurance, and out the door with the plate. As a X-state employee (retired), I can verify that brains and common sense are not a priority with the state hiring system. :nod:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YOu need to reread what I wrote, its not about whether the bike was titled in your name or not, its about it never being registered.
A motorcycle is like a car in Mi. There are two ways the state gets us,, titling and registration. There is every possibility that you bought a street legal bike, have a title in your name and the bike has never been registered.
Dont confuse any of this with Boats, Trailers, snowmobiles or Mopeds - their registration IS their title..
That ol arcain expression of "follow the money trail" is directly applicable to dealing with the State - think a little about that and you will be well on your way to understanding what/when/how/why/where they do the things they do.. Just look for a money trail and you can fiqure em out everytime..
Some examples:
1.TONS of Canadian garbage being dumped in Michigan even though our state is surrounded by the planets biggest supply of drinking water - MONEY!
2.Stripping our (yours and mine) public lands of tree without a plan or intitiative for replanting - money
3.Encouraging manufacturing plants to outsource manufacturing but not demanding that those applicable products be allowed to resell here at a matcing reduced rate - EXCISE TAXES apply so the State makes more - MONEY...
4. The Mackinaw Bridge TOll was suppose to be dropped after the Bridge was paid for, that was a longgggg time ago and the toll has never been reduced,, matter of fact, its gone wayyy up over time... Money...
5. Even though Michigan is now officially in a recession, Our Governor is the 2nd highest paid Governor in the nation - I guess someone has to pay her way and make sure she has,,, Money hahahahahaha
Oh welllll,, you get the point,, hopefully...
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
mykski2 said:
The woman at the desk told him that it was not enough. He needed to have all the receipts to the work that had been done. When my son showed her again the inspection report the the officer had filled out she didn't get the picture. She then pulled out a big book with all the laws and explained to my son that she needed verification that the work on the paper had been done. At this point my son asked for a piece of paper and a pen. He then wrote down "I put on a headlight, taillight, horn, DOT tires, etc." Then signed it.

This is nothing new. And as woodsy said its all about money. They want extra tax dollers for the parts that you added. Granted if you bought the parts to make the bike street legal then chances are you already paid tax on them. So why should they be allowed to tax you again on them.

But all I have ever dont is say that I added the parts to make my bike street legal myself. And all the parts I added I already had from other bike projects. That usualy apeases them.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Just save the receipts from the stuff you bought to make the bike legal and take them with you. Hopefully the receipts show that you have paid sales taxes on those parts. Otherwise, you will be paying sales tax again.

The rule that kills me is one that was just pointed out by a friend. It states that if you sell a bike, you should accompany the buyer to the SOS office to ensure that they transfer the title (off-road or street legal title). It appears to me that the state is making the seller responsible for ensuring that the sales tax gets paid. :yell:

morgan

Nov 30, 2001
But all I have ever dont is say that I added the parts to make my bike street legal myself. And all the parts I added I already had from other bike projects. That usualy apeases them.

That always works for me. Seems like the term "previously used parts" makes things work.

mykski2

Feb 26, 2006
There is every possibility that you bought a street legal bike, have a title in your name and the bike has never been registered.
Dont confuse any of this with Boats, Trailers, snowmobiles or Mopeds - their registration IS their title..
Woodsy[/QUOTE]
So I think I get it now. You just say that you have owned the bike but just never registered it. The title automatically comes with the bike. Am I correct? :clue:
As far as having the receipts, my son just wrote down what we had added and that was good enough, even though we had the inspection sheet from the S.O.S.. No extra charge was added to the new title or registration fee's. I guess I was lucky when I did my XR. Just showed them my inspection sheet and insurance, and the gave me my plate. Either way, were all good now. Just need a little less snow.
Mike

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
To make the SOS lady happy, just say the bike already had lights and horn when you bought it. You just added the mirror($15 part) and circle the price on the receipt... heck buy one from toys-r-us... it doesn't matter. They charge you a $1 sales tax and they feel happy about doing their job effectively. :) With the green form signed, proof of insurance, a 'cheap part' receipt, and smile (very important)... you will leave with a plate and street title.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
mykski2 said:
...I can verify that brains and common sense are not a priority with the state hiring system. :nod:

Hey..if I think about that long enough...i could be insulted! ;)

I have simply said "it came with all the stuff when I bought it". Worked for me on 3 occasions so far. I also have had bikes (older stuff) that were out of state titles such it was not clear if it was street legal or not , where I simply told the SOS "it was a street legal bike - you know, a street trail type bike, headlight, horn etc.." ...viola...I had a street legal bike! Amazing how easy that was!

Orangewoods

Jul 25, 2005
Here in Genesse county you just never know what to expect at the S.O.S. I auctally gave my green sheet to a friend who gave it to her brother who is a police officer who filled it out for me. Never even looked at the bike. Went to the S.O.S with proof of insurance and the completed green sheet. Gave it to the lady who said to me, almost the same thing about proof of the upgades to the bike. I just happend to have a reciept in my insurance envelope from a little trailer that I bought from Mjiers about 5 years previously. I handed it to her like, Oh yea here, this is it. I swear she looked at it then looked at me went to that big book paged through it , comes back, gives me a total and goes and get me my plate... I could tell another about a car I inherited and the lady demanding how much I paided for it..another camfire someday...by the way I never daul sport my bike just needed the plate to race.....ed

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
KTM Mike said:
I simply told the SOS "it was a street legal bike - you know, a street trail type bike, headlight, horn etc.." ...viola...I had a street legal bike! Amazing how easy that was!

Mike, That is what I do here in Illinois. We have Currency Exchange stores where you can get a Liscense or renew plates and transfer Titles ,they seem to only be intrested in taking you money so it is pretty easy

mykski2

Feb 26, 2006
Well, I think it's a toss of the dice when you go to the S.O.S. When I did my Honda, they just looked at the sheet and my insurance and handed me my new plate and registration. But then again I'm older as opposed to my long-haired son. He just looks like trouble................oh wait,he has been at times :laugh: They never did charge him any extra. Just the normal charge for the new title and plate. Go figure.

Top Bottom