kxrider125

Oct 4, 2003
Could some one explain how the cluch system works on my 85 kx 250.
I knew i needed a new clutch kit so i took my cover off and my pressure plate and took the friction plates and steel discs in to the local 2 stroke shop for inspection.He said they were worn but should last a little longer.I put everything back together the way it came out but now my clutch doesnt work at all and my bike has no power at all..it just winds out when i give it throttle,almnost like the clutch is partially engaged and there is no difference when i pull in the lever,it does nothing.Its a pretty easy assembly so i am quite sure i put everything back together properly.I am waiting for new plates etc,but am wondering why this is happenning. :think:

kxrider125

Oct 4, 2003
Is there no one that explain the 2 stroke clutch to me or provide a link so i can learn something. :clue:
Is this not what this site is all about :)

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
kxrider125 said:
Is there no one that explain the 2 stroke clutch to me or provide a link so i can learn something. :clue:
Is this not what this site is all about :)

I used to learn about the way bikes worked by reading the service manual. :cool: I'd suggest the same. If you don't have one, I'd suggest buying a Clymer manual ($25) or a factory manual ($80 or so).

kxrider125

Oct 4, 2003
I have a manual but it only shows you how to put it together and take it apart not the dynamics of how it actually works but thanks for the comedy approach to my problem. :rotfl:
Anyways i figured out what was wrong,Excuse my newbee words for the parts.
The inner part of the clutch that fits in the basket that the fibres and steels slide on to needs to sit in there tight but semi loose so it can spin when the clutch is engaged.I tightened the centre clutch nut too tight so it would not spin.
I loosened it and torqued it to spec and put new fibre and steel plates and springs in and it works perfect now.
Thanks every one for your help :moon:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom