Venom01

Sep 7, 2004
probably a simple thing but my 2000 kx 250 dies in idle and with the clutch in after like 5 seconds. is there an adjuster or somethin

help please, i know nothing

Last edited:

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Are you saying that it dies while idling and also in gear with the clutch in?
1) You can adjust your carb idle a bit higher to prevent stalling. It's in your manual. The manual you are immediately going to buy after you read this post.
2) Your clutch may be engaging slightly, which can be adjusted at the handle bar. If that adjustment isn't enough, you might need to have your clutch plates/basket examined. It's in the manual. The manual you are immediately going to buy after you read this post.
3) How's the condition of your trans oil? Nasty oil can cause plates to grab and make the bike stall or creep. Manual.

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
Venom, MX bikes generally don't idle very well. You can adjust the air screw and idle screw to achieve idle while in neutral. A 10 - 20 second idle should be adequate. Don't try to adjust the carb so your bike idles indefinitely - this can lead to other problems.

Expecting your bike to idle in gear while at a standstill isn't reasonable, though. There's always going to be some clutch drag. If you set the idle high enough to overcome this, you'll compromise the rideability of the bike (you'll lose what little engine braking a 2 stroke motor has, among other things).

Venom01

Sep 7, 2004
Sandy Whoops said:
Venom, MX bikes generally don't idle very well. You can adjust the air screw and idle screw to achieve idle while in neutral. A 10 - 20 second idle should be adequate. Don't try to adjust the carb so your bike idles indefinitely - this can lead to other problems.

Expecting your bike to idle in gear while at a standstill isn't reasonable, though. There's always going to be some clutch drag. If you set the idle high enough to overcome this, you'll compromise the rideability of the bike (you'll lose what little engine braking a 2 stroke motor has, among other things).

thanks guys, i figure i shoulda started with a trail bike not go straight for the big boys. how well, you live you learn

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom