Speed2XS

Jul 22, 2005
Hi everyone, Im LG, just found the forum and looked like a good place to start.
The reason im here is because i would like to start trail riding. I currently ride an 01 suzuki sv650, im an avid street rider, but have always wanted to do trails.
What im looking for is suggestions on what kind of bike i should go with. i'll tell you what i need. first, im 5'9", weigh 180lbs. im looking to do pretty much jst trail riding, and am looking for a bike, probably a thumper, that is as little as necessary. im not the kind of guy that wants the biggest bike out "just because". i want to go used, and it doesnt matter if it's a few or several years old. so what are my options guys? whats the best bang for the buck. i bought my sv not cause it's pretty but because it had the most potential, and ive been happy with that purchase, so im looking to do the same again.
I know nothing about dirtbikes, so any and all info will be appreaciated, thanks all

LG

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I used to have an SV650 and I traded it in on a Busa, probably the worst thing I have ever done in my life, yeah the busa was fast but that was it. I miss my SV, fast, torquey, with a sprinkling of aftermarket parts it looked bad ass. That said I have a CR250R but would not consider it a "trail machine". I have had the privilege of riding a KDX220 and absolutely loved it. The power is there but it is electric, kind of a like a golf cart, smooth as can be. If you want trails then I feel that is the bike to have. KTM makes some nice trail bikes also, although I haven't been able to ride one but they seem to get rave reviews. The down fall is is that they are going to be more costly. Go with a KDX if you want a trail bike and aren't worried about MX. Plus there is SO MANY aftermarket parts for them you can modify it to the moon.

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
tyesai said:
Go with a KDX if you want a trail bike and aren't worried about MX. Plus there is SO MANY aftermarket parts for them you can modify it to the moon.

I agree with Tyesai...especially since 1995, the kdx has remained the rock-solid, well built bike, so Kawasaki has yet to really change anything

Speed2XS

Jul 22, 2005
Ruff Rider said:
I agree with Tyesai...especially since 1995, the kdx has remained the rock-solid, well built bike, so Kawasaki has yet to really change anything

Thanks guys for the info, i'll start researching those immediately.

-Ruff Rider, is it your opinion i should look for anything post 94? nothing older is worth looking at?

-tyesai, I love my SV, prolly wont be buying a new sportbike anytime soon, so it cuts it, plus, insurance is low cause it's not considered a sport bike, but i've got more than $1200 alone in the suspension, so it keeps up in the twisties. I'd like to ride a 'busa someday though, it's gotta be an expierence.

LG

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
Well if you come across a 1995+, it would definately be a plus for that bike. I have a 1987 kx (not kDx). Parts arent obsecure but you have to look. The difference between my bike is the transmission ratios and it doesnt have a light. A previous owner added a flywheelweight and it makes a huge difference. My bike before the Kx was a Rm. On the single track trails i ride, the RM had a tough time thus making me work 2x as hard.

2strokes are hard to ignore due to their ease of maintence, widespread availibility, and their respectively cheap cost. Lately, 4strokes have gotten too much attention (imo) thus driving up costs. Although, according to many, you cant beat a 4stroke's ability to get a rider out of any bad situation.

Keep your eye out on e-bay and classified ads this fall as prices will drop and deals can be found. Do a search here at DRN of what to look for while buying a used dirt bike.

Good Luck

Top Bottom