94formy

Mar 13, 2006
I've been riding and rebuilding old dirtbikes since I was a kid but I just bought a 99 KDX 200. I have a few questions as to I need to do some work on it. The tire that is on it is a 100/100. I have read in other threads about people running a 100/110 or 100/120. What is the difference and what is the best to run? Also I've read about how finiky the kick start levers are on these bikes and mine is no exception, are there any other options to fix this besids buying a new one from the dealership? Will one off a KX work? Also where can I get a service manual besids the dealership? Thanks in advance. Look for a few more topic specific threads from me soon.

Josh

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
Welcome! Not sure what diff. a wider tire makes. Depends on your conditions. I'll be using a 100/110 Kenda Millville this year. I have a Dunlop 756 100/100 now.
I know the kick starter prob. well. Already have replaced it once. Check out FRPracing.com for a KX 125 kicker and other good stuff.

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
I just refurbed a 2002 200. Left the tire at 100/100 and it seems to work well. I replaced the kickstart lever with the Fredette Racing one. Starts first half kick every time! I think you can run an '89 KX lever (search here and you'll probably find some info on it). As for the repair manual, I just got mine online. Still expensive though but worth it. Not sure if it comes in CD-ROM format if you want to save $$. Throw some KX forks on that bad boy and you are golden.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i think the thing a wider tire will do is help a little more in the mud as it gives you a bigger footprint. and if you are putting a wider tire on it, then you gotta make sure it wont rub the side treads off by rubbing on the swingarm closest to the engine. and what do you mean by "finiky"? as in their having problems, breaking etc?

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
so what is the width on the stock tire? I am looking at dennis kirk and some of the tires have the with listed as 4.10, 4.50 etc. What would the stock tire be?

Jan 16, 2005
I just posted in another thread about the 100/110 tire on the back, I think it's a matter of preference. With the standard engine mods I felt a slight difference in acceleration from a dead stop. The bike feels a little sluggish to me, but to someone else they may feel nothing at all. It's a slight difference is what I'm trying to say.

Some physics guru could probably give you the inertia/acceleration/ various surface characteristics explanation, but all in all it's fine to run bigger unless your bike is running under power, then I think you would be unhappy.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom