Nigerian check scams - sellers beware

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
A thread revolving around this topic came up in the past. The Nigerian's are notorious for various types of fraud. This describes one scam that if my memory serves correctly, sounds like one of our DRNers encountered while selling a dirt bike.

Counterfeit Cashier's Check Scam
Although the Nigerian fee scam is becoming more well-known, a new type of overseas financial scam is making the rounds. While the Nigerian scam targets victims' greed (who doesn't want a large sum of money?), the counterfeit cashier's check scam targets the average person who's selling or auctioning goods on the Internet.

Here's how it works: You put up a large item for sale (a car, for example) or auction. Then you're contacted by someone from overseas pretending to be interested in buying the item. They ask you if a friend in the United States can mail you a cashier's check to cover the cost plus transportation fees.

You may see no reason to object, since, unlike personal checks, cashier's checks cannot bounce because the amount is paid to the bank when the check is issued (similar to a money order).

After the cashier's check is deposited, you are asked to wire the transportation cost to the buyer so he can arrange for the transportation. It's only when the cashier's check is discovered to be counterfeit that you realize you've lost a large sum of money.

There are also variants where you ship the item and lose everything.
How to protect yourself: If you receive a cashier's check, call the bank that issued it (the bank's name will be printed on the check) and ask them if they authorized that check.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Linus,
This is an email I got shortly after listing the YZ in the local paper. How the guy got my email I'll never know.

----- Original Message -----
To: <TPCHomesInc@att.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 5:25 AM
Subject: ready to buy.

hello, It's been nice know this web-site and truly found what exact thing have been looking for.I got the placement of your the advert of your bike from a decent site and decided to make a contact with you and really found out about what your last offer is cos' i saw $10,000 as the price and i think is some how expensive, also i will like to know the exact condition of the bike.I reside in the west part of africa and specialized in buying of used bike and resale them for any of my cleint that said He/she want to purchase it from me and now i have one.expecting your reply!
Regard
Mr Kelly.
--

Having previously seen a post regarding a scam that started out just like this I replied to the guy with two words...F Off. Be careful of the BS people.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Gomer=Flyin Nigerian

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by a454elk
Gomer=Flyin Nigerian