BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Well I got to test a Nissan Titan crew cab today - must say it has a ton of power, and drives really well. Took it for about a ten minute spin into Amarillo, and was on my way back to the dealership, and a truck and trailer right in front of me throws a wobbly, and tosses a steel table saw in the road. I just had enough time to jump on the brakes, and then BLAM a guy in a Taurus going about 50mph rams me up the arse. My 9 year old boy was with me for the ride and he was shocked, the salesman all he could worry about was his job. The Taurus had some serious front end damage, and the Titan sustained minor damage. The truck had the tow package, and just some plastic was broken - the rear bumper was bent in, and there was some minor panel damage. Score for the day, Titan 1, Taurus 0.

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?ReviewID=1457

:o

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I was hoping for a picture of the carnage.

Seems the Titan is still not "full size" just a mini.

Nice that your reactions are quick.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Glad nobody got hurt :thumb: Did any airbags go off or anything?? Are you planning on getting one?? I saw one on the road the other day, nice truck.. I own a Fontier, No probs at all.. Thinking of maybe trading in for a Titan next year if everything goes well w/it..
Rick

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Highbeam
I was hoping for a picture of the carnage.

Nice that your reactions are quick.

The Titan Crew cab is a BIG truck, bigger than the F150 - the short drive I had, it drove really well.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I know that if I were test driving a truck like that and somebody rear-ended me and the truck only sustained minor damage like that...it would probably be sold! Nothing like a crash-test to get a good idea of how tough a vehicle really is! :thumb:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Originally posted by Highbeam

If you can't get a bike in the back with the gate up, it's just too small.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Doesn't it also come with a sprayed in bed liner, how cool is that!

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Originally posted by RV6junkie

If you can't get a bike in the back with the gate up, it's just too small.

So is that the case? Is the bed sub-par? That's what I was thinking. No bikes or sheets of plywood in the back with the gate closed = no full size.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I know that if I were test driving a truck like that and somebody rear-ended me and the truck only sustained minor damage like that...it would probably be sold! Nothing like a crash-test to get a good idea of how tough a vehicle really is!

Ditto that! Glad you and the boy are O.K. That must suck for the dealership. I would more than likely by one, but not that one :p

I have a full size Chevy short box and I can't get the gate closed in it without pulling the bike sideways in the bed. Same for the Titan.

I realy think they are cool. Not only do they come with a spray in liner, they also have a cool C-channel system to tying things down. I saw a picture of it with 2 bikes strapped down in it with the channel system and it was slick!

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
the sliding bed extender and toolbox option is also pretty cool.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
So from what I am reading the only Nissan bed option is 5.5 feet long. The GM full size shortbed like I and the previous poster have is 6.5 feet long. A bike is about 7 feet long. True you can't quite shut the tailgate on the 6.5 footer with the bike loaded straight in, but on a 5.5 footer the dang back wheel won't even be inside the bed.

This Nissan pickup aint gonna cut the mustard for me.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The extended cab has a 6 1/2 foot bed and the full 4 door has the 5 1/2 foot bed. I'm in the market for a new truck and my friends are telling me to go with the 6 1/2 and use the extender. I like the utility of a 8' bed but the look of the 6 1/2 foot bed. Does the bed extender really give the same utility?

I don't know. Decisions, decisions.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
The extended cab has a 6 1/2 foot bed and the full 4 door has the 5 1/2 foot bed.

That is what the review article that Bundu posted up said. I don't think the F150 4 door has a 6.5 bed on it either.

The 180 opening rear doors on the extended version realy appeal to me as well. I have a 96 GMC X-cab version, but the person who bought it didn't get the third door option. I didn't realy think that I needed it either (at the time). It's some thing that I realy want in a truck now. I don't have a need for the a full 4 door version and proably won't for some time.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Oooh, I saw that 180 degree third door. Very cool idea.

I am cursed with the GM third door that only opens about half way. You are stuck in the middle until you close the third door. Nice at times, wide open parking, but a stinker trying to load the extended cab in a parking lot.

The new crew cab 1/2 ton chevy has a little (less than a 6.5' short bed) bed too. It is the way things are going. A fancy station wagon.

Like the Tundra, I'm sure the nissan "full size" will really do the job for a large portion of the market.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Sorry... me neck is too red to buy a full-size jap pick-up.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan

Espescially that you are back in "Red" Country.  LMAO.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Okiewan

Heck, our bikes are built in Japan :laugh: FWIW, the Titan is built in Mississippi, aint they necks red?? HAHAHA :laugh:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
That truck's got a Redneck Tennessee 'Titan' engine ! :p

and is built in Mississippi :)

Last edited:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I'll take my full-size F250 w/ four big doors, big engine w/ BIG torque (650ft lbs), tool box and room to put bikes in w/ the gate up.

I'm w/ Okie, Nissan and Yota's albeit nice, just aren't for this hick. Although that Nissan is about the nicest offering Japan has ever come out w/.

PS...my bike is built in Austria ;)

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Say that with a Schwarneggian accent !

Hey, this Titan is more American than some of our 'American' trucks ! - Mind you, even though Pokie may disagree, maybe Mexico is part of America :p :eek: ... or is it America is part of Mexico - I get confused !!! :scream:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
My truck is built right here in good ol' KC, as are the F150's.

LOVED the D&D quote, btw :laugh:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
CRSwade, is it a Power Stroke Diesel you have?? If so, how do you like it?? How does it tow and any major problems?? Oh, is it a 6.0 or a 7.3??\
Thanks in advance,
Rick
PS.. Reason i ask, is my dad is interested in getting one..

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I've got an 02' w/ the 7.3 So far it haas 105K on it, my business puts about 60K a year on it. It is by far the most comfortable vehicle, not just truck I have ever owned. Mine is a lariat, w/ all of the leather and doo-dads and you can spend major windshield time and not get all cobbed up (sore).

Now for the fun part, this thing pulls great. We pull two different trailers w/ 3-5 bikes+gear+all of us. Pick the nastiest uphill mountain road and that truck just moans a little diesel moan and never even thikns about downshifting. You can actually accelerate if you need to, and just truck by itself is major rush to drive. Imagine a 8000lb vehicle pulling hard all the way past 100mph. Now mine is tweaked just a bit, w/ an additional 80hp and 120ft lb of torque and STILL gets 18-20mph. I wouldn't hesitate to find a 7.3, although I know the 6.0 runs great. I just usually wait on new engine models for a couple of years.

Probs are few. Cam position sensors can fail occasionally, and fuel & air filters need ot be changed religiously about every 15K miles. Luckily they are easy to get, plus I put a K&N air filter in mine for easy cleaning.

Top Bottom