For those riding with a GPS (or just 4 fun!)

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey Crew,

I know some of us are using GPS devices when we ride, some (like me) have units wired into our bikes. I'm still new to using it, but I wanted to share this.

I'm currently using a Garmin III+ and am happy with it. I also use a "RAM" mounting system from Cycoactive (www.cycoactive.com)

If you use this type unit, you know it would be pretty easy to lose the antenna during a ride.

I splurged last week and bought an amplified antenna off of Ebay and can't say enough good things about it!

Its small, tough and almost impossible to lose like the stock antenna!

I also run my GPS unit in my truck and tried the antenna there first, with the stock antenna I would get four satellites maybe five on a good day, but it could take up to 3-5 minutes to get lock.

With this antenna, I commonly get 5-9 sats! Lock time is usually under 30 seconds. Last night, I actually had 9 sats locked with 6 at full strength! (if you use a GPS you know how cool this is!)

I mounted the antenna on the dash and ran the cord under the dash to my GPS.

It works so well, I went ahead and bought a second antenna for the bike

Neat thing is that the unit is around $25 (+/-) and is really small, about the size of a 50 cent piece (remember those?) and maybe 1/2 inch high.

The antenna is small enough to mount under the headlight on the front fender of my KTM, or it has enough cord to run under the seat and mount on the back fender behind the seat. (the unit is small enough that you can slide your weight back and not hit the unit). The antenna is so small and unobtrusive you could probably mount it behind the number plate or on the frame near the tank, but a location where it has a clear view of the sky is optimal/preferred.

The unit weighs about 1 oz. (+/-) so it's light and small. Since I run the black fenders you really have to look to even tell it's there.

If you are the type that carries their GPS in your backpack or Camelbak, it would be really easy to mount the antenna on your shoulder strap and leave the unit in your pack!

They work with any GPS that uses the BNC type connector (not the Etrex type with the internal antenna)

Pluses:
Price (around $25) I have seen them on E-Bay consistantly from a company called Pebblecreek. I was out bid on my first attempt and was promptly contacted by the seller with another unit so I assume they distribute or manufacture them

Size/weight: the thing is smaller than the CDI on my bike, about the size of a 50 cent piece and about 1/2 inch high, has enough cord to mount anywhere on your bike. Best guess is that it weighs about an oz.

Quality: unit is waterproof and uses a BNC connector, would be really hard to lose. It is magnetic, but I think attaching some velcro would be prudent.

Versitility, can be mounted in your truck or on your bike. Would also be easy to mount on the strap of a backpack/hydration system or CP if GPS is kept in a backpack.

Minuses:

Not many,

Will not work with GPS's using an internal antenna like the Garmin 12 or the ETREX.

you will have another cord to worry about behind your numberplate and if the unit fell off your fender it could get wound up in your chain if the cord was not bundled but I'm really streching here.

Here is where I found them, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1366720911 They are distributed (made?) by a company called Pebblecreek.

If the link is too old go to ebay and search for Garmin GPS III+

Rod
I am in no way affiliated with nor compensted by any of the companies above.

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Thanks for the info 'Zilla. I have a Garmin III+ also but have found that it frequently uses 2d mode (no elevation) or doesn't work at all in the thick woods I ride in. Do you have the 'off-road/trails' mapsource stuff? I can't remember what the actual name is but its supposed to have a TON of trails etc on. I am interested in downloading routes from the GPS to mapping software that will show the course along with altitude changes from rides.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
TTR,

Nope I have not gotten that far yet! Most of the software seems to be around $100 and with my pending nuptuals and such, dropping that coin is not in the cards.

I just have the basic map set, not the TOPO but it's on my wish list. I too want to do what you suggest and down load onto my own maps.

Let me know if you try that software. Give the antenna a try. For me, it was worth it.

R-

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
I have the Garmin emap, and the software (roads and recreation from Garmin), in my area it has some of the jeap trails, but many others not visible from satelite photographs, which I guess is how they create the maps. Riding on the trails not identified and then downloading onto the software works well, but it does not show elevation changes that I am aware of. The software is good though, has unknown lakes identified and such, also don't worry about getting lost now in the national forest. :scream:
Good luck

Top Bottom