No Good Riding ??

Reading some of your posts has led me to believe that there is not much legal dirt / dual sport riding in Vermont, NH, NJ, NY, PA, Maine ?? Is this true, or is there some good riding.....I would like to know before I think about moving back there from San Diego.

Please, I would love some input on this.

Thanks,

KLX4smoke

Lifetime Sponsor
Not much here in NJ as far as places to ride but there are alot of enduros and dual sport rides in those states if you are willing to travel. There is an event most every weekend if you look hard enough. Check out www.ecea.org and www.netra.org

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
NETRA has a series of Turkey Runs which are basically dual sport rides.

ECEA has dual sport rides.

NYSORVA also has a list of dual sport rides in the Northeast.

RM_guy

Moderator /
Damn Yankees
The problem is that there is no state of federal land that is available for us to ride on legally. The only land to ride on is privately held and there aren’t a lot of places set up with good trail systems. That’s not to say they don’t exist but there’s not a lot.

We had a mini spodefest in Modena, NY a month ago and we’re planning another on near Albany, NY for October 11-13. Check the thread in the race/ride fourm on the NY Spodefets for some more info.

I can’t help out on any dualsport riding. Sorry.

Dear God!, please explain why you would want to move back to the N.E. I live in Ohio , which is not one of the areas you mentioned, but where I live it is horrible riding. Lets assume for a moment that there were legal areas to ride ( some of the places you mentioned at least have 1 national forest for exxample ) The weather STILL SUCKS!!. This year for example our usable riding season has been about 2 months so far. But, hey for those people that like freezing, cold, wet weather maybe its cool up here.

I know california has a lot of overpopulation and the cost of living is high etc ... traffic etc ... but from what I see you live in the GREATEST off road state. Is it that bad? Tell us why you are moving? I am interested , because I am moving OUT of Ohio and the NE US in general specifically because of the weather and limited riding areas. (Note: the author is aware that there are some great riding areas in NE US, there just arn't any close to Cleveland. Closest legal riding is in MI, or PA , our own national forest is almost 4.5 hours away from me :( )

There is Some

There is plenty of legal riding in MA. Pachaug in CT. and like mentioned before a lot of Turkey Runs, Enduro, Hare Scrambles etc.. Then there's also those twist it and don't get caught rides in between:p

I have to agree with bills442. I don't know why anyone would want to move to the north east. Because of the weather it's a depressing place to live. If I could I would move to Texas in a heartbeat. Not that Texas doesn't have it's drawbacks but Pittsburgh only gets like 60 days of sunshine a year.

Riding in the snow is alot of fun though.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Originally posted by DSsuper92
If I could I would move to Texas in a heartbeat.
I said the same thing 11 years ago. Ended up living there for seven years. You couldn't pay me enough to move back to that hell hole... unless your talking a mansion that overlooks Lake Travis and a seven figure income.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Hey guys, beats living in the midwest! (re: Illinois)

I like it up here: hills, trees, races every weekend. All four seasons.

Plus, you can actually BUY property out here, and have your own riding area. Can't say that about CA.

RM_guy

Moderator /
Damn Yankees
Originally posted by WoodsRider

...overlooks Lake Travis ...
Ahhh. Lake Travis. Nice place...to visit:p

I spent many business trips down there and that cured me of any need to actualy MOVE there:scream:

Move ?

Well, I grew up on Long Island, the weather never really bothered me, plus the island doesn't have extreme weather because it's surrounded by water. The reason I am even thinking about moving is because the company I used to work for has grown, and works on HVAC systems for mulit-million dollar mansions, and it is the most interesting design/project management job I could possibly have. They said the door is always open for me, and I could possibly make at least $20,000 more a year, and I would actually enjoy my job most of the time.

So, the choices are 1) Stay in San Diego, be bored with work, and maybe eventually find a better job where I'm happy. And live the riding lifestyle that I enjoy so much out here, dual sporting, street riding, road trips, etc. 2) Move back east, sacrifice SOME of the riding, but be happy with my work life. I would have to get into snowmobiling and other things like I used to hunt back there.

So, it is a tough choice. I have to think about it for awhile. From what it sounds like, there IS some decent riding back there, except not on Long Island, I'd have to travel. Also, I'd be able to afford to fly out to California for certain dual sport rides, etc.

Thanks for the input, and keep it coming......if I decide to move, at least I'll know of areas to ride.

Thanks,

I came from Pa to Georgia about ten years ago and the riding areas here are impressive. They have several ORV areas within 2 hours of Atlanta that are good rough riding areas. They also have some areas for easier riding if interested. The biggest problem here is to many bikes/4-wheelers at some areas and two way trails. We have ridden enough of the ORV's to know which ones to stay away from.
The only areas I can compare them with are Pa's, so maybe other states are comparable. Pa's trails seemed to easy and geared more towards 4-wheelers. From what I've read on these forums they are trying to ruin Marienville riding area. I don't miss the long winters either.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
20K increase?

Hey Randy,
If you move back here, and make alot more $, could you please buy a couple hundred acres so we could ALL have a nice place to ride? ;)

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Re: Move ?

I would have to get into snowmobiling...
What, are you nuts? Just buy a set of studded knobbies and grip heaters to keep on trailriding through the winter. Or install a set of ice screws in your old knobbies and hit the frozen lakes and rivers. :cool: