scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Does not seem to be a carb problem ?
I pulled the carb apart cleaned everything, blew out all jets, etc.
Cleaned the tank out, replaced the inline fuel filter. After that it
seemed to running pretty good. After about 45 minutes of riding
around on a bumpy surface the bike started to pop and die when
accelerating to the point it would not run beyond idle or 1/4 throttle.
At that point I pulled the plug which seemed OK, I changed it anyway.
I also checked the float level which also seemed fine so it does not
appear to be a carb issue. After this I was able to get it running a
little better but it still would pop and die under any acceleration.
Could this be a lose ingnition part ?

Any help would be apprieciated.

Thanks !

Steve (IT200)

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
The bike I am referring to is a 78 Z50 4 stroker.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Sounds like water in the fuel... To me. I'd totally drain and dry the tank.. along with removing the fuel bowl as well. Change the inline filter again. It only takes a drop of water in the bowl to cause exactly what you've described.

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
I did pull it apart, drain everything before this ride but maybe my son ran it through some deep water that I didn't notice. I will check the bowl
and see if water is in there. That may explain why it was running good for awhile after I drained everything from the ride before. Now that you
mention it I do remember water being in the bowl which I figured got there form washing the bike. hum.

Thanks I will report back.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
When you drained the tank.. did you remove it or just unhook the line and drain it back in to the can from the petcock?
If you did not remove it.. do so and shake it out after the gas is gone then use some air if you have it.. Also look at your fuel can it could be water contaminated... So mark that for lawn mower use only.. :) cause if the mower dries under load you shrug your shoulders.. tell the wife it dried then go riding.. :thump:

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Actually I did remove it before but I wasn't looking for water, more for
dirt, etc. that was maybe getting in the carb causing havoc. Water seems to make sense now that I think back. I will look for water tonight and see what I can find. Does water sit on top of gas or ?

Either way I like the mower excuse to go riding !!! Wa Hoo !

Top Bottom