kdx-tex

Dec 11, 2000
Is it a bad clutch

Not sure what to do first, feel like i have no power when climbing hills... Buddies think my clutch is out... what kind of signs can i look for on a burned out clutch. I have a 96 kdx 200. have also heard that the clutch springs are weak on the 96 kdx 200. what to do, trying to get ready for a riding trip at Camp Claiborne in Louisana at the end of october:eek:

Last edited:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
High gear up a hill whack open full throttle & if the revs rise wildly with no wheelspin it’s slipping.

Have also read front wheel against a tree in tall gear & try to let the clutch out without it stalling. Haven’t tried it myself, should work.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
The front-wheel-against-a-tree test works fine for diagnosing a slipping clutch. Put the wheel against the tree, put the tranny in top gear, grab a handful of throttle, and dump the clutch. If it is slipping or not engaging strongly, either the engine will not die, or it will bog it down slowly before it kills it. Just make sure you do it in top gear. If you try it in a lower gear, you may find yourself climbing that tree.:eek:

kdx-tex

Dec 11, 2000
thanks

I will try the tree test, I heard that the 96 year model of the kdx has weak clutch springs have you heard any truth to this

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
A-yup, the tree test works... On my ride this weekend, I noticed I could no longer raise the front wheel with the crack of the throttle. I wasn't real sure at first if it was lack of traction in different soil. But as the day wore it got worse :(

Never a dull moment or a time w/o something to replace.

-MD

Top Bottom