No spark at low RPMs, cant kickstart

PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
I am talking about a 91 YZ 125. The bike was bought new in 90-91 by some guy in Cal. and the sold to some guy in Utah in 94. He rode it until 97 until it seized and he let it sit until 2002. My friend bought it for a parts bike in 02 and took a few parts off of it and gave it to me. So at one time it was good... My friend didn't take any of the electical parts other than the CDI box, I bought another one from ebay. The guy on ebay SWORE the box was for a 91. I got all of the rest of the parts I needed and have been trying to get it running... but anyways I can get the bike to start if I push it down the hill and bump start it, and it will run unless I let it try to idle. Does anyone have any suggestions? I connected all the wires using crimp plugs.
I think it may be the coil???
ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

92CR125

Aug 11, 2003
not real sure but could it be that your air screw needs to be adjusted and also make sure the throttle is open enough when your in the idling state. goodluck with it

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Measure continuity on the primary & secondary coil (on the stator plate), on some systems if the primary coil goes you can’t start it but can if you get it spinning fast enough but then the revs drop below the threshold & it relies on the other coil which is dead & the engine just dies instantly.

You didn’t say if it sparks with the plug out & kicking it. If so then perhaps the ignition coil, grounding of, of plug cap are out of spec. Taking the plugcap off the HT lead & positioning the HT wire 6mm from metal should produce a nice spark. Let us know if that happens.

PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
It does not get spark when I take the plug out and kick it.
I just found out today that the bike is a 1990, not 1991, I bought a CDI for a 1991, I don't think that matters though does it?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
After you have eliminated the kill switch & the connections to the coil & earth etc most likely is the stator.

Send your stator coil to get rewound (check adds in bike mags).

Top Bottom