tnutcher

Jan 10, 2008
Hey guys. I have a 1991 rm250. took it to Oceano Dunes the other weekend and went for a ride, fired and ran great. stopped and started once more and when i stopped and went to start the third time, nothing. sat kicking for 30mins with no tools then went and got the truck to pick up the bike (had to breakdown in the middle of butt f'd egypt) Thought it was flooded so took carb apart and cleaned everything only to find out it had no spark. plug wasn't old but put a new one in and same thing. Continuity checked the engine kill switch and it checked in as working properly, checked all my connections - they're clean and have continuity, ohm'd out the stator, coil, and cdi unit, and they check with my clymers manual. idk where to look.

popped off the mag/stator cover and everything was rusted to hell. PO must have had it off for some time to get that much moisture in there. i haven't pulled the mag-flywheel yet to check for mechanical damage to the stator but could the magnet be the culprit? I'm shooting in the dark here with electrical issues. . . i can pick up top ends and even jetting pretty easy but this stuff confuses me. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance
TNutcher

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds like you have a rusted ground connection. Pull it apart and clean throroughly. You will likely have to sand off the corrosion, just do it gently. Stators can go open when they heat up and show good when cool. Do the clean up first and then use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm the stator and remeter. Also check your other ground connections.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
clean all the rust with a wire wheel, it should work after that they dont like rust
,if not ricky stator should have one , or try a salvage yard, 1-503-478-5700, is a place i get parts from

check the case on that model , i had the 92, i think there is a vent hole in it,if you ride in water it will fill with water so check that out
i think its behind the stator plate

tnutcher

Jan 10, 2008
Alright i'll pull the flywheel and start cleaning. would acid to remove the rust be too harsh on stuff in there or just stick with a wire brush? Thanks I hope that's the problem.
TNutcher

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Wire brush!

tnutcher

Jan 10, 2008
finally got a flywheel puller and cleaned up the stator, flywheel, pickup, and put everything back together with new bolts and nothing. . . retesting and the stator is a hair out of range acceptability according to my clymers manual, the cdi has a few faulty points and the coil seems fine. . . I'm leaning towards the cdi unit, any thoughts???
TNutcher

tattoocloud

Sep 21, 2009
have you checked to see if you have amperage/voltage output when you kick it over?

which style of stator is on the bike? -i had one where the top and bottom "spiders" where misaligned - re-aligned them and i had spark again

tnutcher

Jan 10, 2008
i'll try and check for voltage out of one of the stator wires when kicking. any idea on how much should be there??

as for the stator its a 6 pole? wound one with i think two poles not wound that it bolts to the plate through (not 100% i didnt count but 80% sure haha) it lined up right on the tick marks when i took it off and made sure it was aligned when i put it back in... Thanks for the reply
TNutcher

tnutcher

Jan 10, 2008
i plugged in a digital multimeter on the voltage settings and could get positive voltage on cranking with the kick lever coming from the two main stator leads... 3volts was the best i could tell, the numbers and decimal placement kept jumping too fast to get a solid reading but shouldn't any positive voltage register good or does it need a lot?

The coil seems to be the cheapest to replace so i think i may start there, then maybe the stator, hopefully not a cdi unit those boogers seem pricey.
TNutcher

tnutcher

Jan 10, 2008
i found a good deal on a CDI unit from a good system and got that and still no spark... so going to try a new stator. Any thoughts?
TNutcher

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Just had the same problem with my 2000 rm250. Started 1st kick as usual, rode it up to the neighbours, came back out to start it. Dead. Kicked and kicked. Nothing.

We ordered an aftermarket stator for it, and the NEW stator was faulty, got a second one, it was faulty too. Finally decided to buy a factory stator and it worked fine.... but cost a lot.

So a word to the wise, if you order a new stator and you still don't get a spark, don't rule the stator out. And you will have better luck just buying a factory one to begin with.

tnutcher

Jan 10, 2008
thanks for the heads up. did the stators you bought ohm faulty too or just didnt fix it? I should be getting it soon i ordered a moose stator from dennis kirk so hopefully its good.
TNutcher

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Both of the aftermarket (I'm not sure what brand, but it wasn't Moose) stators I bought were defective, it had nothing to do with my bike. They were just manufactured wrong.

Then I bought an actual Suzuki manufactured stator and it works fine :nod:

tnutcher

Jan 10, 2008
finally got a new stator from Ricky Stator through ebay on the bike, runs great now. Wish i woulda gone the stator rout first before burning 150 on a new coil and a used good CDI unit. Thanks for the help though,
TNutcher

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom