shane Arnold

Jan 3, 2009
92 yamaha WR500
New top end just done, and now no spark.

Spark is present but fades out after 5-6 kicks. After 5,6 kicks the spark is completely gone.

I hooked up a multimeter to the stator wires and each kick I get juice. Does anyone know what setting exactly it is suppused to be on to accurately read the juice or spark output? Cause I have no clue as to how to properly diagnose a bad stator?

Im really lost here guys any information would begreat, thanks.

shane Arnold

Jan 3, 2009
Can someone please give me a general trouble shooting guide or personal experience on how to acurately fix my 2 stroke spark problem, please.

I have spark but ot fades out after 5-6 kicks.....Then it comes back a couple days later or after I let it sit.

Please any advice on finding and fixing a no spark issue would greatly help.

shane Arnold

Jan 3, 2009
mathd said:
I think the manual have the info for testing the lectrical. I would look there first.

I did it doesnt have but the very basics. Not much help.
Guess Im just going to replace the stator, cdi, and ignition coil.

Replace it all....haha Im sure it will work then!

I just would like some clear info on how to check a stator with a multimeter, I did it but afraid Im doing it wrong.

anyone?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
kdx/yz said:
I suggest you look to see if the flywheel key isnt sheered
+1
Check all the ground wires and the wiring coming out of the sator running to the CDI. A pinched wire could cause the difficulties you are experiencing. Contact a dealership and see if they will tell you the Resistance readings that are within acceptable range. If the bike ran before the top end, something is just not making contact. The woodruff key would likely cause NO fire at all but if not completely sheered away MIGHT cause the issues you discribe.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
If you had good spark before the top end job what did you do to the electrical system? remove the coil? check ground and high tension lead/cap.... remove cdi check all connections to make sure they are hooked up right and tight/ do you have the kill switch hooked up wrong?

too me a weak spark would mean a coil isn't saturating enough but I wouldnt change it with out testing everything with an ohmmeter and comparing them to a manual

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom