Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I originally thought it worked as good as a petroleum-based oil, but it doesn't, plain and simple. I've found some dirt in the boot and carb intake twice now, and I resealed the airboot with weater strip adhesive TWICE just to make sure I wasn't letting dirt in somewhere besides the filter. Then I switched back to my old oil (Silkolene filter oil), and I haven't had any problems. Seems to me No-Toil is decent, but not good if you want 100% protection. It also lets water in the filter, as I had dirt that was pulled in by water and dried out on the inside of the airboot. This most likely occurred during washing, but I don't have any of these problems with regular filter oils. Just beware if you are using No-Toil. I don't think it works too well in wet riding conditions.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Let me express a dissenting opinion. I ride in wet conditions all the time. I’ve used No Toil for two years and I’ve never had the problems you mention - and I’ve gone to great lengths to inspect my filters and the inner airboot every time I remove one for cleaning, mostly to see for myself that No Toil really works. I’ve yet to see it pass any dirt through a filter. My top end after a complete season of hard use was in great shape. No evidence of foreign object damage. No Toil seems to protect just as well as the petro-based Twin Air oil I used to use , and is a godsend for ease of cleanup and not having to figure out ways to get rid of left-over cleaning solvent. It has resulted in increased protection for my bike because cleaning the filter is now so easy, my bike has a freshly oiled filter in it much more often than in the pre No Toil days.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I have never had dirt in the boot while using Notoil for 3 seasons now. We religously chain filters and keep the airbox itself clean. An easy way to get dirt is when you are cleaning the filter you don't rinse the inside before drying the filter.
As to water resistance I doubt Notoil allows any more water (or waterbourne dirt thru) than petrolium based makes. I had picked up and moved a dirty filter a couple days ago and then went swimming figured the Notoil would wash off eventually. After 2 hours in the pool my fingers were still tacky- until I used the cleaner to wash my hands.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I agree with oldguy, the stuff won't wash off with normal soap and water and it remains ultra tackey. You might not have gotten the oil distributed evenly (a problem I had with the pour on oil) but since going to the aerosal I have had no more problems with that nor have I ever gotten dirt into the air boot. The no-toil oil does work better on the no-toil filters than it does on regular filters though.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'm with oldguy and smb_racing, I have had no problems with No Toil. I got a sample about a year ago, and being "old school" and opinionated and grumpy in my young age, I put it on the shelf and forgot about it. I found it this spring and tried it. I graduated from "air filter oil old school". No Toil is great stuff.

If you are finding dirt like that in your boot, you may need to check for tears or holes in your filter.

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
On a related question,
I just bought a can of spray on No toil, how do you guys clean the filters, can you use cleaning solvents or just soap and water.
I appreciate the help

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
They were new filters from No-Toil. Ask Eric Gorr. He agrees with me that petroleum oils are better than No-Toil. End of story. Notice how there has always been some criticism on No-Toil, but never any of Bel-Ray or other well known petroleum oils?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
You should use the No Toil Filter Cleaner.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
It's not the No-Toil cleaner I had a problem with. It was the oil - it doesn't stay tacky after a few days, and pretty much dries out. The cleaner works fine.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Buzz,
You may not have seen any criticism of oil based filter oils but that doesn’t mean there isn’t any. They have been the only choice for so long that people have given up complaining about it. The biggest complaint is cleaning them. No-Toil solved that problem with out any draw backs. In my opinion No-Toil is far superior to oil base stuff. It stays tacky longer and is actually tackier.

Do you spray it on or pour it on and squeeze out the excess? If it’s sprayed on there’s a chance that you’re not getting enough on. I have had filters sitting for 6 months over winter and they were still plenty tacky.

As far as water getting through the oiled filter, if you hit the filter with a hose, water (and any dirt that gets dissolved in the water) will go though it whether it’s No-Toil or oil based. Trust me, I’ve had dirty water go right passed an oil based filter oil. If air can pass through, so can water. I am somewhat over aggressive when cleaning with the pressure washer and I found that putting a plastic grocery bag over the filter before washing help a lot to keep water out whether you use N-Toil or not.

Obviously it’s up to you and you’re going to do what you feel comfortable with but I wouldn’t give up on No-Toil.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I don't think everyone is bashing, just stating what has worked for them. I also have used only no-toil and though I don't ride every week, it has worked well for me.
If a product doesn't work well for you then you have every right to change. :thumb:

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
For everyones information, I've used the pour on oil and used the plastic bag method. I completely saturate the filters before I put them on the bike and let them sit for an hour before installing. I also rinse the filters from the inside out to assure that no dirt lurks on the filter before oiling. I don't know if it's just the environment I ride in, but I never got great reslts with the no toil. It's definately not as tacky as petroleum-based stuff RM_Guy. What brand did you use before?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Buzz one thing just occurred to me- Do you thoroughly shake up the noToil before pouring it on the filter. From your statement it isn't as tacky as others this may be the problem. NoToil has an alcohol carrier. You need to shake it up good to mix it otherwise you are just pouring the alcohol on the filter. When shaken good the oil isn't tacky right away but once the alcohol evaporates off it gets real tacky- at least for us.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
good call oldguy, I didn't think to mention that, it works the same for the aerosal. I was using PJ-1 before the no-toil and think that they're pretty much equal except the no-toil is easier to clean and I don't need a bucket of kerosene for it.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Are you cleaning out the air box and then the airboot before you install the fresh filter.Installing a fresh filter,with the airbox being dirty, will knock specks in the air boot.I check my filters before I wash my bike,just too see if the oil is working,I will pull it off and have a look and feel in the air boot,then I put it back and wash my bike,then do the filter..Pressure from water when washing a bike has a good chance of knocking some dirt by.Check it before you wash it next time,but you sound too much like me, you already made your mind up.

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Kind of off topic here but you want to talk tacky I just tried the Maxima FFT (Foam Filter Treatment I think) and man what a mess that stuff tacks up quick and I tried to wash it off my hands no go it was like glue. Ended up literally rubbing my hands till it balled up and peeled it off. They suggested using the plastic bag method but I went with what I had always doen with my Yamalube foam filter oil and just submerged the filter in it and squeezed until no more came off the filter, well by that time I was sticking to everything in site. I imagine this stuff will work well for the filter but it sure turned me off using it for ease of use.

wy4tt

Oct 21, 2000
Buzz Bomb, i think you're right. as a matter of fact, you should probably send all your No Toil supplies to me. i will properly dispose of the offending products. i'll have to get you my address! ;)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think you have a superior seal there where the two ends of the weather-stripping meet.

I just started using No-Toil this year and have had zero problems. The ride at Wardy's was a bit dusty and my filter was very dirty afterwards....but there was no evidence of any dirt getting past the filter.
Of course, we all may be way out in space somewhere floating around clueless and just like to post on No-toil becasue....it's obviously the best because it's what we are using.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Originally posted by oldguy
Buzz one thing just occurred to me- Do you thoroughly shake up the noToil before pouring it on the filter. From your statement it isn't as tacky as others this may be the problem. NoToil has an alcohol carrier. You need to shake it up good to mix it otherwise you are just pouring the alcohol on the filter. When shaken good the oil isn't tacky right away but once the alcohol evaporates off it gets real tacky- at least for us.

Yep, I was shaking it up for like a minute. I always found little clumps of hardened oil or something of that sort in the bottom of the bottle that poured onto my filter as well. Oh well, I ain't using it anymore, but if you want to, be my guest.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Are you sure you weren't using the milk?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Just a thought, I noticed that there are a few people on this thread mentioning the sealing problem. I have used No-Toil exclusively seince I started riding again. My Zinger is getting a little long in the tooth so I replaced the rubber seal between the box and boot. While pulling out the old filter(guy I bought it from never oiled the filter and hence the new top end and carb tear down) I noticed something interesting, the cage doesnt make a perfect seat with the box. When I got the kit it had what No-toil termed as "Filter Grease" more like Filter Cement! It seals perfectley, and I have had Zero problems with the product. In fact I am a dedicated supporter of the stuff and pitch it every chance I get. Here in KY dumping and petrolium contamination is a hot topic so any chance I get I pitch it at my customers.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by Buzz Bomb
I originally thought it worked as good as a petroleum-based oil, but it doesn't, plain and simple. I've found some dirt in the boot and carb intake twice now, and I resealed the airboot with weater strip adhesive TWICE just to make sure I wasn't letting dirt in somewhere besides the filter. Then I switched back to my old oil (Silkolene filter oil), and I haven't had any problems. Seems to me No-Toil is decent, but not good if you want 100% protection. It also lets water in the filter, as I had dirt that was pulled in by water and dried out on the inside of the airboot. This most likely occurred during washing, but I don't have any of these problems with regular filter oils. Just beware if you are using No-Toil. I don't think it works too well in wet riding conditions.

Buzz bomb,I have used belray before I tried no toil.I have been using no toil for a few rides,I am very careful when taking my filter out to make a fair judgement of oils.My metal cage to air boot rim is snug as a bug, I have no rips or tears in the air boot either.I have found tiny specs of dirt in my air boot nothing alarming,but enough for me.I have a laser pointer and a pen light.I shut my garage door hit the lights and go around the inner rim of the metal cage to see if the light penetrates through,with both lights,nothing.Well I found what the problem is, Actually you did,I went back using the belray the last 4 rides same conditions same servicing the filters,absolutely no dirt what so ever or fine dust just like before when I was using belray.I have no doubt in my mind that belray oil is superior to no toil.Nice peg buzz bomb.Clean up is a great idea with the no toil and works excellent.The oil does catch,but not good enough for my standards.I was using the pour method not the spray no toil.

Last edited:

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Bigred, your situation sounds exactly like mine. I had tiny little particales of dirt in my intake, but nothing that would be substantial. Since I switched back to petroleum oil (PJ1 or Silkolene), no dirt has found its way into my intake.

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
I guess you could of got a bad bottle of notoil?? clumps ?? never seen that, I have gallon bottles of the stuff, and been using it for 3-4 years, ( I was scott's genny pig at first, ) and have never sucked dirt?
I would say you may have got a bad bottle of oil??
I would say call scott at no toil, and I would bet money he would send you some more for free!!!
I have always used the stock filter's !!
Great stuff IMO!!!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom