Chicken Hawk

Sep 7, 2005
Hey All !!!!
I haven't ridden for close to 5 years and I got the ol itch last weekend and bought a 2005 CRF450X and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good places to TRAIL RIDE in North Texas? I live in McKinney, Texas. :ride:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
hey fellas!!! if you go to muenster there are a couple of things to watch for.

1. ms harris at the gate is a funny old bird just say yes mam and give her your money.
2. read every rule on that board carefully and follow em
3. do not ever get out of first gear on an established road while on your bike even if others are. speeding on a road will incite the wrath of the gatekeeper who rides a fourwheeler/mule. do your speeding in the trees.
4. there are no arrows on trails to promote "awareness" i dont really think it works but it is her place.
5. there really is quicksand in the creek as you get closer to the river. watch quads get stuck but dont try it.
6. new state laws forbid riding in riverbeds ie the red river sand bars are part of that. people do it anyway but if a tpw guy catches you, its a ticket.
7. most important thing to remember about the place is that the water at muenster has salt in it. not quite like galveston, but enough that if you dont wash your bike when done riding, you will have rust on any bare metal and if you leave it on for days, it will corrode coatings. just take it easy going through the creek and stay out of the river. your wheelbearings will thank you for it.

8. it really is the best 1800ac place around here to ride.

oh yeah, the east side of the creek is the easiest riding.

have fun and ill probably run into ya when its gets a bit cooler.

look up JMD in the NTSP forum (local chapters on drn). he is from mckinney

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks tx246 for jumping in!

He had some great advise fellers! Now, why didn't y'all stop in the newbie forum?!?! Gotta bust your chops!!! ;)

Seriously, welcome to the site Chicken Hawk and jfisher304 :cool: jfisher304, I know your signup date says 1999, but I haven't seen you around so ... welcome as well!

Thanks for setting up your User CP and updated information relating to your location. Grab a spot on the couch and tell us a bit about yourself. How long you have been riding, what kind of riding you prefer, where you are located, etc. We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts.

Yoe are in a hotbed of folks here on DRN that ride 365. Check out the North Texas Smack Pack forum for opportunities to hook up with some fellow DRNers. As tx mentioned, JMD lives right there in McKinney. I haven't counted lately, but there is usually a thread or three of folks drumming up ride groups every weekend.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that DirtWeek will be coming to a race track near you this fall and we expect that you will be there. Y'all need to check out the greatest event on earth, DirtWeek! DirtWeek 2005 will soon begin to stir. Held every fall in Stillwater Oklahoma, DirtWeek has become the premier family event for many of the members of the site. Last year we had Kenny Bartram, Guy Cooper, Malcolm Smith and Larry Rosslier stop by for riding and bench racing. Check out the site at http://www.dirtweek.com. Additionally all the forums relating to past DirtWeeks can be found near the bottom of the main forum page, check out DirtWeeks past forum. There is a sticky at the top of the NTSP forum as well with info regarding Camp Tejas. You better plan on coming up. Too much fun and only 3 1/2 hours north of the metromess.

Again, welcome to the site and shout if you have any questions!

Last edited:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
You will find other info at www.texasoffroad.net and links therefrom. I will invite you to come to TMTC's Barnwell Mtn reservation at Gilmer, TX. Only open weekends--check the website to find occasional closures. One way single tracks & two way roads. Very, very little water especially this time of year and what there is, is fresh, not salt. All degrees of difficulty and all sizes of rock from sand to bolders. Cheers--John

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Greetings, Chicken Hawk, and welcome. I probably won't ride this weekend, unless the weather breaks and we get temps in the 80s. But I'm sure we'll meet up one of these days. I'm usually up for a Saturday at Red River. Also, if you like rocks, there's a ton of trails up in the Kiamichi Mountains in OK.

Chicken Hawk

Sep 7, 2005
Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for all the info guys! I will be in Muenster today breaking in my new dirt bike. It has 7 miles on it and I know my neighbors are tired of seeing me ride it up and down the driveway! HA! If anyone of you stop out today I am the guy on the new Honda CRF450X. Just yell out CHICKEN HAWK!!!!

Thanks,
TJ
:aj:

Chicken Hawk

Sep 7, 2005
Well.....

I went and tore it up today. Muenster was pretty cool, but there was a ton of sand, which I am not crazy about. The river beds were fun too.

TJ

:ride:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Chicken Hawk said:
I went and tore it up today. Muenster was pretty cool, but there was a ton of sand, which I am not crazy about. The river beds were fun too.

TJ

:ride:

Be sure and wash your bike! There is a lot of salt in the water.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Better get used to deep stuff... dude all you gotta do is keep it pinned and drive it like a boat :p
Nocona MX and McAfee are the same thing... deep stuff.

But look at it this way.. if someone posts a pic of you, there wil be some roost :)

Chicken Hawk

Sep 7, 2005
I did......

I did wash my bike, but I did have a quick question about that. Do I just wash it with water at the car wash or do i spray soap it and then rinse it. This may sound dumb, but I wasn't sure if the soap was damage it or not?

TJ

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
wash it at the car wash is fine. use soap then rinse completely. i usually hand wash my bike. there is debate on how high pressure cleaning drives soap into places that over time can create problems. ie seals, spokes, ect. just realize that large amounts of clean water to finish off the job is best. most car washes dont dispense more than two or three gallons during your 2.00 session. off road riding is much harder on a bike than say motocross. your bike will be in more extreme conditions for longer periods of time than a track bike. careful cleaning will make sure your bike lives longer.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom