Notoil>>bad?

clw

Since switching over to Notoil we just had our second top end seizure in 6 months. Besides switching to Notoil I believe our routine hasn't changed. Are we alone?

I like the ease of cleaning, but these $600 bills are getting out of hand!

I see little possibility of the quality of the air filter oil causing top-end seizures. Crapped out big-end bearings from dust and sand getting through, yes. Ring damage from the same, possibly.

I would look at other causes, too (clogged jets, air leaks).

clw

Crapped out big-end bearings from dust and sand getting through, yes.
Both engines had beat crank bearings, the last bike only had 15 hours on the motor. My thoughts are that if you are racing in standing water and mud conditions the Notoil filter lets a lot of this through the filter. In the past (over 10 years of riding), using petroleum based filter oils, I never lost crank bearings. Plus, upon disassembly both pistons showed sand damage on the intake sides of the piston. I think it (Notoil) is probably best when used in dusty conditions but not if it's wet.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
I've been using No Toil for more than a year and love the stuff. No problems so far. I do change my airfilter after every ride to be on the safe side. And yes, we have a lot of standing water and mud in AL, not to mention a lot of dust at times.

I too have been using No Toil for over a year and have not had any probs. At first I wasnt putting enough oil on the filter and did see some dust get thru the dry spots but now I saturate the filters and have had great results in not getting any dust by the filter.

When I wash my bike I have occasonally sprayed up the the air box and after changing the filter shortly there after I did notice it pushed dirt thru the filter. You may have something there when riding thru very wet conditions. If I rode in those conditions I would probably take a old filter and cut it up and using the old type filter oil on those pieces put them over any vents in your air box. That would take care of any major splashing. If you still have a problem you better switch to submarines. :)

clw

I'll do a test!

In the next day or two I'll take a Notoil treated filter and a Maxima FFT treated filter and run water over them to see if there's a difference. I'll post the results.

I, too, have been a big fan of Notoil for over a year, but that may change.

I've noticed that the boot is actually pretty clean even after contamination has passed. I wonder if the Notoil product is breaking down from carb fogging or something. The cage will have some sand, mud or dirt caught in the webbing. It really shows up on a white filter cage.

I'll pick up some FFT Friday and test.

clw

Doubtful

I first wipe down the frame rails and upper airbox. Pull dirty filter off to the rear and then inspect with a light looking down the airboot. Wipe the upper frame rails again, and then install the new filter. Same as I've been doing for a long time.

The webbing is dirty on the cage, so most of the dirt is getting by.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac

Lifetime Sponsor
Are you using the no-toil grease around the filter rim?

BRush

Lifetime Sponsor
So far so good with No-Toil. I switched this year and have been pretty careful about inspecting the inside of the boot and filter at each change for anything passing though. Clean as a whistle.

clw

Yes, Yes

There's always a coating of grease on the sealing edge.

Again, the inside of the airboot has always looked clean. I find , after a muddy/water splashing ride, some dirt on the cage, but the boot and inside of the filter always look clean. After the second breakdown I was told by the mechanic that a lot of contaminates went through the motor, I didn't believe him till I saw the cylinder and piston damage.

I even suspected that possibly the boot was damaged or loose allowing unfiltered air (and Dirt) an unfiltered path to the motor, but upon inspection didn't find anything wrong. So I'm baffled. Like I said before, the only change I've made in chemicals or much anything was to start using Notoil last year so it's my suspect.

What's baffling is that years ago we had some real enduros. You know the kind where you get stuck up to the seat, cross repeated deep water and in general abuse the bike. Never had a problem then. Of course the airboxes of that era only took in air through the top. Todays airboxes have drains that are big enough to put 3 fingers in without a one-way valve. They aren't designed for torture runs.

Maybe it's just my turn to have some bad luck. Thanks for all the responses.

clw

Bikes?

1. 2000 YZ250 w/Notoil filter
2. 2001 Gas Gas 250 w/ Notoil filter

Do any National riders (or Pros) use Notoil?