Now I have a 88 KDX and more questons.

Maddog355

Mar 29, 2009
Well While looking for a seat on ebay I found a almost complete 88, The major needed items were the flywheel, stator, and cover. All of which seems to be intact and in good working order on my 86. Hopefully I will have the stator and such changed out in time to see if it will run tomarrow. :ride: :ride:

Now my questons are,
1: How much trouble is it to remove the flywheel? Will I need any special tools?
2: I have read there is a issue with them slinging the magnets off. Is there anything I can do to help prevent this while I have it down?
3: It apairently has a factory trail computer on it??? What are the functions of it???

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
You'll need to get a puller. I have used a car steering wheel puller and some bolts and washers.

I can't think of anything one can really do as maintenance on a flywheel beyond keep the taper clean on assembly. They just lost the magnets over the many years.

The stock meter is a combination trip meter and timer. It is an electrical unit, not a mechanical unit.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yes you can help you magnets not to fail if they haven't already

take the flywheel off or get the local shop to do it for $20 the factory epoxy is red and you need to inspect that..if it is flaking off the peel all loose stuff out and replace with a good quality 2 part epoxy and add some to the ends of the magnets ( between one end and the next magnet end where you will see they tapper back.

and before you start with the epoxy you should lightly pry up on them and see if they are loose... and if they are take the loose one out and cleen surfaces with contact cleaner made by crc and add epoxy to the back side aswell

note that the magnets are shouldered up on a nub in the flywheel put it back the same..

everytime I have seen failed magnets in the flywheel it appeared to be caused by miosture in the cover area and was very rusty inside if yours is not then your probably good to go just keep the flywheel dried out even if you have to remove the cover an used a hair dryer after riding or washing

podfish

May 14, 2007
be careful not to tear up the stator underneath the flywheel. You can use a steeringwheel puller but make sure to use good quality bolts, and only go in 1/2 or so max. I had to get a shop to do it for me in the end, because I wasn't willing to apply the torque it ended up taking! the rotor can really hold on hard....

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah man podfish when the one I did let loose it had a very sharp loud noise (sounded like something broke).
I think the propper puller threads inside the flywheel in the centerthen has a bolt through the center of that one of the hardest parts was holding the flywheel still while turning the bolt on the puller
"If we had three arms there would be no such thing as friends1"

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The older flywheels have three threaded holes that bolts go into from a plate, but the 1989 + models use the 27mm x 1mm left hand thread puller.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom