scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Can anyone tell me the best way to look after an o-Ring chain ?

What lube is best, that does not attract mud, dust, etc ?

What proceedure should be used to clean a muddy / sandy chain ?

Thanks !!!

IT for now.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I take it off and give it a light scrubbing in my parts washer, and re lube it with Superclean after the scrubdown. In between rides, I powerwash the chain on the bike, and spray some WD40 or equivilent before I put 'er away.

May be excessive, but DID x-ring golds aren't cheap!

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
The big thing is to not use methods that would force the factory sealed grease from inside of the o-rings. Power washing a chain is not a good idea. A standard hose and a nylon brush will work just fine for cleaning a chain. Solvents will remove the grease from the chain as well. Just my .02 from chain care articles I've read. I have heard of using Kerosene to clean a chain, I'm not sure how diesel fuel would affect it.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Zenith
Have a look at this page www.mx1000.com for some great info. I think Jaybird would probably recommend the site as well ;) :)...

Seconded!

Jay has some great information over there and will tell you many times over how a steel chain can wear longer using the correct maitenance procedures will last longer than after market chains.....

My .02

(Belive me it saves in the long run),

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
Originally posted by Lespaul20
I thought WD-40 breaks down rubber, why use it then?

WD-40 will not break down the o-ring, but it may dissolve the grease if there is some internal to the chain. I use WD to clean my chain and Bel Rey to lube it. My thought is that WD doesn't seem much more agressive than Kerosene, maybe someone will correct me though...

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Most o-ring chain mfg's are using o-rings that are impervious to most lubes on the market. However, some carriers are very harsh solvent wise and aren't the greatest thing to use for o-rings.
The trick to o-ring longevity is to only use them during adverse condition rides...as they were designed. Now, with that being said and knowing that most will not use that method, then you must be sure and be gentle with the rings. As stated, don't use a power washer. Also, don't use a stiff metal brush.
Kerosene and diesal will both work fine. If you use the right lube, you shouldn't need harsh solvent cleaners. Simple green will work with the right lube.
WD-40 is a mistake, IMO...it probably won't stay on your rings long enough for them to swell unless you soak them overnight in the stuff. However, WD-40 doesn't do a very good job of keeping your rings supple and fortified, which is very important.
If you use WD-40 as a cleaner, and lube properly afterwards, it probably won't hurt a thing.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I clean mine with a stiff nylong brush or a small brass brush and some WD40. I've found one of the best lubes for an O-ring is white spray grease. Get it at yer Walmart Store. I have a ton of hours on my chain and am just about to replace it after four years of hard use.

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Thanks All !

Lot's of good ideas, I was planning the stiff nylon brush method to get the thick stuff off, I do use Simply Green on the rest of the bike now.
I friend of mine soaks his in motor oil is there any advantage to this method of storing the chain after cleaning ?

Top Bottom