CRfury

Jan 16, 2003
On my 02 cr250 the rear shock seems to be slowly leaking oil. The oil. The oil come out of where the shaft enters the shock body. The bike has only been ridden a few times so far. Is there a seal inside that could be gone or what?. I want to go riding this easter weekend so any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Eric

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Sounds like u have a leaking seal head. Your shock will need to be pulled apart and the seal head replaced. A honda seal head is about $30 plus about $80 to have it installed. Get the shaft checked out while its apart to make sure its in good condition. Anyone who can service a shock should have no problems doing this. These prices should be close but i am in Australia.

ps CHAD REED RULES!!

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I've noticed that when it gets cold outside, my rear shock weeps from the exact place you see yours leaking. When the weather warms up it stops weeping. I can't remember where I read this, but Showa shocks have a tendency to do this. My shock has not been leaking for about 4-5 rides now. It only seems to weep when it around 35-40 deg. not when its warmer. I have had this problem intermittently for about 1 year. I have never lost any significant amount of oil. Just a little wetness around the shock shaft. Hope this helps.
Darrin

CRfury

Jan 16, 2003
I washed off all the oil last night (not much oil leaked out) and rode for 5 or 6 hours today and the same small amount of oil is seeping out. I checked with the dealer they said this was common and they had the seal pack to fix it in stock. I think i will buy the seals and take them to a smaller dealer in a differnt town to get them installed. My local dealer has a two week wait before they can look at it plus they are not great people if you know what i mean.

murphy's law

Oct 11, 2002
for what's it's worth i had the same problem and, unfortunatly, I heard that it was common for 02 CR's. Mine was more noticable during break in. Rather than play around with local dealers i just sent it to factory connection in N.H. At the time they had a great turn around rate and I needed a stiffer spring anyway.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
You guys would be shocked (no pun intended) to see how easy the shock is to work on with Jeremy's instructions. It is very messy, but not that bad.

The ntrogen is the only difficult part. Even then, the local shops will probably re-charge it for you. I paid ten bucks if I remember correctly.

CRfury

Jan 16, 2003
I rode again today for a few hours and didn't notice one bit of oil seeping out. I'm beggining to wonder if the seal was just dry from sitting for 10 months and just needed to be used a bit.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
CR, I would agree with you...however, oil did leak out. I dont think a shock should be run when it is low on oil.

I had an old Suzuki DR 350 that was used with low shock oil. The shaft was ruined and was very expensive to fix.

CRfury

Jan 16, 2003
I got it seen to but it will be in the shop for 2 weeks. Its busy this time of year. I might go insane from 2 weeks without the cr.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I had the same problem with my CR250. When I first got the bike it was cold outside and the seal leaked. Once it warmed up, the seal was fine. It did this the following winter, and since I was thinking about a revalve, I sent the suspension to MX-Tech and John Curea explained that this was a common problem because of the deisgn of the stock seal. He told me how MX-Tech's seal was superior and I've had no problems since. MX-Tech has the fix if anyone needs a new seal on their CR. BTW the suspension is bad ass, too.

Top Bottom