Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
I'm thinking of doing a day trip down to Ocotillo for some desert riding and to get some seat time on the new bike before Reno. Any of the crew ready for the trip? I was thinking the 4th or 5th of Jan. but that can be changed depending on everyone elses schedule.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
That sounds like a possibility for the 4th, I'll check.
Elk

Tee

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Hi Tree,

I might be up for it. I may even be camping out there over the 1st. Need to finalize those plans and get a firm date.

I'll get back to you.

See Ya,
T

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I can get you directions if you need, I have a buddy that goes there from SD. Go to Thomas Brothers map for San Diego County. We will meet up at the "S2" and "78", then go from there. You will come up from the South until you find your way through to the "78". I don't have the SD map in front of me, but you should be able to find it yourself. If not, go to mapquest and type in Ocotillo Wells or the "S2"/"78" intersection.;)

Tee

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
I go up the 67 from Santee, past Ramona.
I turn left at Santa Ysabel on the 79.
Go about 10 miles then turn right on S2.
Follow that back down till you hit 78, turn left.
Next stop Ocotillo.
It's a few miles longer, but if you stay on 78 through Julian, It's a winding twisty road going down to Banner and pretty slow going. I prefer the above route.
About 1:45 for the trip for me.

If I go out for just the day, you're welcome to throw your bike in the back of my big 'ol Dodge. I live in Santee.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Put me down for a definite maybe. I will be out there with some friends about that time. Just not sure of the exact dates yet.

Where are you guys going to park at?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If we could, I park south of Ocotillo Wells. We turn right at the old gas station and go past the iron door place. I end up just North of the railroad tracks past san filepe creek. It's either split mountain road or something like that. The riding there is great and you can get to any other part as well, but it's not where the crowds park. I can tour you guys around there and all the stuff we do in that area and I'm open to any other tour guides to places I've never seen.;)

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Sounds good to me. I don't care where we park I just want to ride. :yeehaw:

What time is everyone planning on showing up?

Tee- Maybe we could meet in Santee and caravan up there. I just live up the street. Also, anytime you're up for a 1/2 day ride to Corral Canyon or McCains Valley let me know. :thumb:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I usually get there around 0700 and ride till noon or one, then head home. Cool? We could meet at the junction around 0615 or 0630.

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
are you insane man? what time for all of us normal people?

We are normal.. It's you folks in the educational research field that are all jacked up. I think maybe that MTBE stuff you put in your motorcycle gas is gettin to ya..... :flame:

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Hey Mr. Elk, Are you riding dual-sport? I've ridden all through there too, albeit a bit tentatively since it's easy to run into those darn signs... It's all private down there, (though most don't mind us putting past) too. Watch out for the guy that shoots cans across a LARGE area. No kidding. Anyway, I digress. Are you camping down there, or just parking? For camping, I've had good luck at the Cove this year, for the most part. Did have the generator operator from Hell one night though. Try this as a warm-up ride... Shell Reef Expressway to Cut-across to Pumpkin Patch trail (to the patch) hang a right down Tule Wash to Pole line to Gas Dome, back to pole line to 78 for the endless whoops from Hell, to Tarantula Wash, over to Barrel Springs and then back to the Cove. Killer scenic, variety filled loop. Then do mud hills and check out the airplane graveyard after lunch. Welcome to Ocotillo. Let's go!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by nick414
Then do mud hills and check out the airplane graveyard after lunch.

nick.

Been to the mud hills, but where is the airplane graveyard of which you speak?

Elk.

We are planning on parking in the main OHV area. We go in to the bathroom/shower building, turn right and go about 1/2 mile on the left.
In relation to this, where will you guys be parked?

Not sure of the dates yet.

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
South, and East of the Mud hills. Just kinda work your way down to that main East/West Rd that's South of 78, and head East, past Pole Line. It's owned by a firm from Burbank that supplies parts for movies, like burned fuselages, etc. and parts for older operating aircraft. The caretaker doesn't mind looking, but no touching, and he's had trouble with vandalism so he usually comes out to say hi if you stop and have a beer. He builds trikes... don't let him break out the scrapbook! They have some old military too, Lt. Worf bought an F-86 from them, supposedly. I'll be happy to show you. That's a good spot to park, but not camp... it's right on the main rd. and nobody heeds the 15mph. Dusty steaks are a drag...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks Nick. :thumb:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Like I said, we usually park south of the city, we turn right at the old gas station and follow it about 7 miles. Just before you cross over the tracks, you hang a left and follow the dirt road for about a mile. We park right there. The private property is to the right when you hit the tracks, west of the main road, we don't go there.

I usually go for the day and drive back, get there by 0730 and ride till after noon, then drive back, home by 1530 +or-!:)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yeah, I come down the 15 from the 91 to Temecula, so if you want, we can pick a spot for a meet.

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
If you want to meet in Temecula there's a Jack in the Box on 79 South just after you cross Margarita. You go by it on your way out. If you want we can meet up there and caravan out. Name the time and I'll be there.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'm thinking we should meet up around 0600 there cause it's another 80 miles to Ocotillo.

Top Bottom