mattj

Sep 17, 2001
1998 KDX220

Prior to taking my top end apart I removed the KIPS cover, there was oil in there, it is only a small puddle but obviosly more than just damp, it doesnt seem right to me and so my question. Has anyone else seen this, should I be concerned??

Thanks
Matt

KruncH

~SPONSOR~
Jun 15, 1999
Mattj,

Mine had it a long time ago when I was using a very rich jet needle "AEG". What's your jetting spec's? Also, Jeff Fredette said once that it could happen if the rubber seals that the valve rod goes through are worn out.

mattj

Sep 17, 2001
KruncH,

The possibility of running rich crossed my mind but for another reason I have a dark trail of oil running down the inside of the cyl head from the plug to the edge of the bore. I have a new pipe, reeds and such on the way so I will need to jet it anyway. I guess I will just keep an eye on it after that.

Thanks
Matt

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I thought this was normal:think ? I noticed when I tore my CR down this winter for a rebuild when I took the HPP covers off in the cylinder there was puddles off black oil in there and also over the PV system. I figured the oil gets pasted the powervavles and the guides. There is also a drain bolt for it above my waterpump so it doesn't I guess fill up with oil.:uh: :think

Last edited:

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I'd expect to hear you have some oil behind the resonator cove,r though not an excessive amount. A " small puddle" is more than I would expect to see and would suggest you were likely running quite rich. Stock jetting?

David

motox

May 21, 2001
My 1992 kdx did the same thing, exactly. I was running way to rich. Fouling plugs etc. Leaned out with 42pilot and 155 main. FMF fatty pipe, and rad valve mods.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Could be the bike is making it’s own oil. You might be onto something! Now if you could somehow mount a super mini refinery powered from, say the waterpump drive & route it to the tank you may never need fill up again.

Top Bottom