Oil Changes with a Skid Plate on a CRF450R

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I have a skid plate on my CRF450R and the oil change of the tranny is a messy job. I got the Billwh# funnel and it does not work. The skid plate bracket is in the way of the funnel.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the oil without a mess?

I just purchased a clear tube hose from the hardware store and cut it in such a way that it lays flush with the engine and has a tung that goes under the engine with a piece of foam on the tung to prevent oil from leaking out the end of the hose. Have not tried it yet but it seems it will work. just curious what others or the pro mechanics are doing to cleanly change the oil on the CRF's

Thanks,
Spokes574

Flygirl

Jul 28, 2006
When I change the oil on my bike my husband makes me take off the skid plate and at the same time I clean the foam between the engine and the top of the skid plate to remove all the dirt, mud, rocks, weeds..etc. :-) I'd be happy to know of an easier way too!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
http://billywho.com/

News Flash -- BillyWho is now working with Works Connection to solve skid plate/ManFunnel compatibility issues. Works Connection has moved their mounting brackets to allow the funnel to rest on the frame with out interference so you can now change your oil on the bike stand and never have to remove the skid plate or any of the brackets.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I bought a funnel from Billy Who back in January.

It was delayed shipping to me. So I contacted him. I found out then that he was shutting down his business.

He was in talks with a couple of people at that time to take over production of his products, but at the time hadn't had anything solid yet.

Hopefully he'll get that worked out.

Mine works great! I have a Devol skidplate though.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
IndyMX said:
I bought a funnel from Billy Who back in January.

It was delayed shipping to me. So I contacted him. I found out then that he was shutting down his business.

He was in talks with a couple of people at that time to take over production of his products, but at the time hadn't had anything solid yet.

Hopefully he'll get that worked out.

Mine works great! I have a Devol skidplate though.
I wondered if something was happening. I saw an ad for his Factory Fill bottle under a different name (can't remember the company) and thought something was up.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
RM_guy said:
I wondered if something was happening. I saw an ad for his Factory Fill bottle under a different name (can't remember the company) and thought something was up.

I have one of those too.. I have to say, it's pretty well useless.

There needs to be some sort of relieve valve or something on the bottom. I've used it twice, and am not sure if I'll use it again, other than to measure the oil out.

You have to squeeze the oil out of the bottle, and it's really not easy. I found it much easier to just put a funnel in the oil fill hole on the bike and dump the bottle into that, making the cap & tube on the bottle just decoration.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
Oil fill bottle? been using a plastic baby bottle with the end of the nipple cut off for years, costs about a dollar, cc and oz right on the side.

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I have no confidence in the BillyFunnel, it does not rest exactly correctly when the skid plate bracket is removed and oil still messy a bit.

My plastic hose funnel device that cost me $0.90 for 1ft from the hardware store works great. I will post a picture link this Friday for everyone. Need my son to teach me how to post a photo online with a link. It will make your oil change so much easier and cleaner. No need to remove the skid plate again.

Spokes574

Top Bottom